Rabies

Quote:
Even if that is true, then I don't see how that is relevant.

It's relevant because the OP has said, and I quote:

Quote:
This was in another thread, of course, but yeah....seems pretty relevant.

Understand that I'm not coming down on the OP...I'm not. Anxiety is real, and it's a real problem; I know that. I'm not trying to offend the OP.. Indeed, my aim is to reassure the OP and try to not have them worry so much.

With that in mind, let's look at the situation objectively... So a raccoon was in the area a few weeks ago, but we have no idea if the dog actually mixed it up with the raccoon. Excellent chance that it did NOT. We also have no way of knowing whether the raccoon was rabid or not, but it goes without saying that most are NOT. Consider also that the dog is current on her Rabies vaccination, so even if the raccoon was rabid and the dog and raccoon mixed it up...the dog should still be immune to rabies. And on top of all that, add a self-described "very nervous" owner who "always assumes the worst" and instantly goes there instead of looking for more reasonable explanations for anything out of the ordinary.

And let's not forget that we also have parents -- adults, also living with the dog and able to evaluate it FIRST HAND -- who have already voiced their opinion that the dog's not rabid.

All that said, I'd stake my life on this dog NOT being rabid.

DancesWithWolves...your dog's not rabid. Maybe, as someone else mentioned, there's something else going on...but it's NOT rabid.

smile.png

Quote:
Even if that is true, then I don't see how that is relevant.

It's relevant because the OP has said, and I quote:

Quote:
This was in another thread, of course, but yeah....seems pretty relevant.

Understand that I'm not coming down on the OP...I'm not. Anxiety is real, and it's a real problem; I know that. I'm not trying to offend the OP.. Indeed, my aim is to reassure the OP and try to not have them worry so much.

With that in mind, let's look at the situation objectively... So a raccoon was in the area a few weeks ago, but we have no idea if the dog actually mixed it up with the raccoon. Excellent chance that it did NOT. We also have no way of knowing whether the raccoon was rabid or not, but it goes without saying that most are NOT. Consider also that the dog is current on her Rabies vaccination, so even if the raccoon was rabid and the dog and raccoon mixed it up...the dog should still be immune to rabies. And on top of all that, add a self-described "very nervous" owner who "always assumes the worst" and instantly goes there instead of looking for more reasonable explanations for anything out of the ordinary.

And let's not forget that we also have parents -- adults, also living with the dog and able to evaluate it FIRST HAND -- who have already voiced their opinion that the dog's not rabid.

All that said, I'd stake my life on this dog NOT being rabid.

DancesWithWolves...your dog's not rabid. Maybe, as someone else mentioned, there's something else going on...but it's NOT rabid.

smile.png

lol i guess u r right. overreacter thats what i am jeez i think i need help.......

See?

big_smile.png

ETA: I'm in no position to say "get help," so don't take my reply that way.

What I would say, though, is that if you feel like your anxiety is causing you problems or making you miserable, definitely talk to someone about it. Parents, guidance counselor, family doctor...all three...whatever.

Take good care of yourself, kiddo.
smile.png

Glad the dog's better.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
lol

thx so much, my dad won't believe that i have an anxiety issue and as u can see in this example (my dog has rabies thread NOT) it really does mess with my life. my mom believes me but my dad dosn't mental disorders really do run in my family thouggh. My dad has PTSD my uncle Is schisofrenic (spelling?) my other aunt has allzimers i could keep going......

Last edited:
Drooling and lack of interest in normal water/food/activity indecates that her stomach is upset. Sounds like she's eaten something she shouldn't have. I did not read the entire thread but I hope you find out soon whats wrong with her.

Drooling, irritability, lack of interest in food, etc could be indicative of dental problems. Maybe she has an abcessed tooth or an infected wound in her mouth.

That would be the first thing I would check. She could have a sliver in the back of her throat or between her teeth. Dogs get real goofy when they have something stuck in the mouth. Usually with that you would see some pawing around the face though.
I'm glad she is feeling better. I hope you talk with a school counseler about your anxiety when you are home alone. You don't have to suffer like that. And don't think you are just being silly, counseling might work real well for you. Good Luck! I hope you are both better soon.
wink.png

You posted about her chewing a stick, and eating, then not eating, within minutes. If the dog is full, or is not currently in the mood, they may not eat. If she goes a full day or two without eating then it could be indicative of a problem.

It sounds like your dog is a playful pup, if her energy wanes or if she is acting uncomfortable while slobbering perhaps she is in need of a vet visit. Watch her, but don't overanalyze her every move.

Hi Dances with Wolves,

I would think that the raccoon had DISTEMPER. But I would keep your dog in a quarantine. NO playing/handling it anymore. For at least 10 days. The chances of a dog coming up with Rabies is fairly low...unless the raccoon actually truly HAD rabies. What state do you live in?

Texas or a southern area, the problem is sometimes worse. And then, of course, there's the dumb states that have used LIVE rabies
baits for wildlife. Sigh. Now species that have never had Rabies are positive. DUH.

There is a NEW Rabies test - here's the info:

"Dyne Immune, LLC announced their new, portable Rabies RAPIDTM (Rapid
Antibody Portable Immunodetection) Screen, which can detect the presence of
rabies in an animal saliva sample within 30 minutes, providing vital
information much sooner than traditional testing methods. The screen allows
veterinarians, animal control officers and other professionals to check for
rabies in animals that are still alive, eliminating the long wait (10 to 14
days) and hefty price tag associated with typical post-mortem rabies
testing."

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/137890.php

Personally, after having had numerous dogs come up with "vaccinosis"...I totally Naturally Rear my Aussies. Wouldn't put vaccines into anything anymore...including myself. But you must educate yourself on the proper way to build "Natural Immunity" in a pup. Have done this with 3 of my Aussies and they're doing great. And, of course, I feed them a Prey Model type of Carnivore RAW diet. Keeps the vet bills to mostly zero.

HTH, aussieaddict (New member) Aussie owner for over 35 years
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom