Raccoon after my chickens?

Amy chicks123

Chirping
Mar 21, 2020
There was a raccoon after My chickens but then we caught him. Will there be another one out to get them and when should I expect him to come?

When raccoons visit my yard, there are normally more than 1. They tended to either visit at dusk or dawn. If you have a trail camera, you may want to put this up to see if they have a pattern in their schedule.

When raccoons visit my yard, there are normally more than 1. They tended to either visit at dusk or dawn. If you have a trail camera, you may want to put this up to see if they have a pattern in their schedule.
Thank you but I do not have a trail camera do you know where I can get one?

Depending on where you live, my local farm stores have them, Walmart has them, otherwise you can order them online.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it but I am very nervous about what to do tonight. I locked up the coop so that nothing can get in should I still be worried?

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it but I am very nervous about what to do tonight. I locked up the coop so that nothing can get in should I still be worried?
What kind of coop do you have?
Does it have chicken wire or hardware cloth?
What kind of locks are on the coop? Raccoons can open some locks easily.

If your coop is really predator proof, with good (raccoon proof) latches, it's fine. Most raccoon kills are at night, not when the birds are free ranging.
Mary
I agree. I have electric wires around my coops and pens. I have seen coons on my cameras but they haven't tested the electric wires.

Back
Top Bottom