Raccoon almost got my duck

He is holding his own. I noticed he has stiffened up some, so I raised his water and food to be in easy reach. He was trying to reach down to his solid food this morning. He is inside our house - a stand up shower stall, so no fly issues.

A big future worry is his maneuvering once recovered, he is also having a hard time judging distance, I think. I will keep an eye on that as well.

He is so flighty, that I'm afraid I will do more damage trying to get whatever wounds cleaned. It looks like there was more internal neck damage from crushing than outside damage. His head and neck were the only parts injured.

Just being patient for now....

People have kept special needs ducks before, so there is probably some good information out there. I had a special needs chicken that had brain damage and always walked in circles. I thought she was blind because of how she didn't react to seeing things, but she could find food and water on her own (eventually) and she didn't run into walls.
Speak softly to him, maybe play a quiet radio so he gets use to the sound of a human voice and than it may be easier to treat his wounds.
Our special needs chicken, Mavis, needed force feeding the first few days to get her started, but she loved snuggling on our laps, going on walks on a hat (she would sleep in the hat and I would walk) and sun bathing.

How large are the gaps in the fencing? If they are big enough for a raccoon paw to get through, this may happen again. You could try lining the inside of your fencing with chicken wire or doubling up the fencing to reduce the gap size. I'm a first time duck owner, and I'm reading raccoons are public enemy #1 for poultry
1f47f.png

How large are the gaps in the fencing? If they are big enough for a raccoon paw to get through, this may happen again. You could try lining the inside of your fencing with chicken wire or doubling up the fencing to reduce the gap size. I'm a first time duck owner, and I'm reading raccoons are public enemy #1 for poultry
1f47f.png
They are plus a host of other preds too. hardware cloth is another good way to secure your fence but at night about the only way to keep then safe is to lock them up. Too many things can climb and dig under and fly in.

1f47f.png

Absolutely! Fencing must be outstanding. Caught this one, setting the trap again tonight.
The fencing isn't my problem, surgery and a delay in closing them up at early dusk was my problem.

To clarify...the outer "day" fence is dog proof. The inner "night" fence is all other critter proof. It is the under part of the chicken house, fenced in with hardware cloth that extends 1.5' out to prevent digging.

Last edited:
He is holding his own. I noticed he has stiffened up some, so I raised his water and food to be in easy reach. He was trying to reach down to his solid food this morning. He is inside our house - a stand up shower stall, so no fly issues.

A big future worry is his maneuvering once recovered, he is also having a hard time judging distance, I think. I will keep an eye on that as well.

He is so flighty, that I'm afraid I will do more damage trying to get whatever wounds cleaned. It looks like there was more internal neck damage from crushing than outside damage. His head and neck were the only parts injured.

Just being patient for now....
I'm sure he is very sore, does the neck have any open wounds? no liquid running out anywhere? I know you don't want to scare him but if he has something that needs treated you may have to pick him up wrap him in a towel and look him over good.

People that lose their eye sight compensate after a while as I am sure animals do also it just takes the brain a while to rework. If he goes back outside always keep everything in the same place food water pool etc so he always knows where it is.

Thanks so much for updating we're all pulling for him

Ok, sorry it took so long. Mr. Duck has been successfully reintroduced to the flock and even though he often cocks his head in a bizarre way, he is feeling fine. Fine enough, that he has taken charge of the females and runs the other males away. I believe he has some vision in his bad eye, but not very much.

Thank you for all the support, suggestions, and encouragement! It's good to have knowledgeable people to talk to when something like this happens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom