Raccoon Apocalypse

I might try putting some marshmallows over the live wires then when the raccoons get a bite they get a nasty shock and won't come around. What kept the raccoons at bay for a few months was a nasty mix of the hottest hot sauce I could find, chili powder, cayenne pepper, jalapeños, habaneros and any other hot spices you have around. Mix these up in a spray bottle and add some dish soap. Then spray around your coop and on the trees. My concoction was so potent I started to cry when I sprayed the stuff. I didn't see raccoons around for about two months afterward. But this isn't a permanent solution. The only thing that has worked for me was shooting them.

I find live traps to be worthless for most raccoons. One year I set two traps about 20' apart many nights. One was a live trap and the other was a Duke style dog proof leg hold trap. Same bait (canned mackerel) and never caught one in the live trap but caught 12 in the leg hold trap.
I agree, the Dukes DP traps work well. I got 7 raccoons so far. I have 4 of them set outside my coop/run at the weak points. I bait mine with chicken feed. It doesn’t rot as fast as fish, cat food or other protein baits and it doesn’t attract ants. Coons can’t resist it, apparently.
Now that I think about it, you could use a small ratchet strap to tie four of them around the tree, high enough that a chicken won’t get to it, and that might catch them before they get to the run.

I agree, the Dukes DP traps work well. I got 7 raccoons so far. I have 4 of them set outside my coop/run at the weak points. I bait mine with chicken feed. It doesn’t rot as fast as fish, cat food or other protein baits and it doesn’t attract ants. Coons can’t resist it, apparently.
Now that I think about it, you could use a small ratchet strap to tie four of them around the tree, high enough that a chicken won’t get to it, and that might catch them before they get to the run.
Whenever I have used live traps the the little punks always find someway to get out.

I am overrun with raccoons. In the past 9 months I have trapped or shot 17 coons. Is there something that can be used around the pen to repel raccoons? I have lost 7 chickens so far.
So we accidentally ended up with a goose. Since we’ve had him we have had zero loss. We still can’t believe it. He is like a watch dog. He even makes sure everyone is in the coop including our duck(which we lost a dozen ducks before Sam because raccoons love them too.). We have accidentally left our coop open several times and before we had Sam we would always have a missing hen. Sam also protects us from our own rooster when he’s being mean to us to protect the hens. It’s pretty amazing. We have trapped our share of coons and possums too and the neighbor has lost a couple hens lately-so the raccoons are still here(also some have been roadkill in the area) But thanks to Sam we haven’t had one since. He’s an African gray goose.

I'd go with a double-sided approach: block and catch. We offer both and are a sponsor here on BYC. Pullet-Shut automatic chicken door to lock the hens in, for their safety. And the hand traps, to catch those raccoons. I am not fond of killing wild animals, but when they are a real problem like this, then you don't have much of a choice. chickendoors.com

Back
Top Bottom