Raccoon atack: survivor ingered badly

Broken or dislocated will require a vet, you can carefully move through its normal range and see if it's moving wrong, there's a lot of muscle damage, it will take a while and she may always limp. I am unfamiliar with vet rx so I can't comment on that.

Quote: To boil it down to simplest terms, "One of these things is not like (or does not function like) the other......."

The pic you supplied does not bode well.

"How can I fix that?" Not sure you can......

Splint and immobilize ..... if the patient can live like that ..... add time. And Effort.

Were it me, I'd do the necessary, and then redouble my efforts with respect to predator proofing my coop.

Leave it alone for now, other than gently applying antibiotic ointment without pain reliever. Give it 2 days to recuperate. Don't try to assess any further damage yet. The skin will regrow (regranulate) on its own in time.

Great news! She is up and hopping around using her good leg and her wing. She is eating and drinking but the leg seems to be paralyzed from the muscle damage. Even so she is getting around just fine. I have not let her roam with the chickens because she needs more time to heal but she is sleeping in a plastic dog crate near the roost tonight because I don't want aggressive pecking order when I let her out. So because she can't use that leg how should I arrange for her to sleep in the future? I can put a nesting box on the ground for her so she doesn't have to jump / fly up. Should I splint her leg so it doesn't drag?

(P.S. I just gave her antibiotics as a preventative for ifection). Thank you for your help!

Great news! She is up and hopping around using her good leg and her wing. She is eating and drinking but the leg seems to be paralyzed from the muscle damage. Even so she is getting around just fine. I have not let her roam with the chickens because she needs more time to heal but she is sleeping in a plastic dog crate near the roost tonight because I don't want aggressive pecking order when I let her out. So because she can't use that leg how should I arrange for her to sleep in the future? I can put a nesting box on the ground for her so she doesn't have to jump / fly up. Should I splint her leg so it doesn't drag?

(P.S. I just gave her antibiotics as a preventative for ifection). Thank you for your help!

Well if money isn't much of issue, I would take her to the vet and let them splint it and do it right. As far as a roost goes, I happen to have a very low (about a foot) off the ground 2x4 in a corner of the hen house for those that don't want to fly up to the roost. Very simple for them to reach and roost on. The wide part used for roosting. I noticed if they have bumble, they tend to prefer the lower roosts. Yours could probably just hop and flap up to one that low.

It will take a couple of months for it to totally heal, she will slowly improve, for now I wouldn't judge how she will be able to get around or roost, I would keep her separate and somewhat confined for a couple of weeks, for now sleeping in a bed of nice bedding is best, glad to hear she is feeling better.

I agree with oldhens. Keep her in the dog crate, and put bedding material (hay, shavings, etc.) in there for her to lay on. Give it at least two weeks to do some healing.

Well if money isn't much of issue, I would take her to the vet and let them splint it and do it right. As far as a roost goes, I happen to have a very low (about a foot) off the ground 2x4 in a corner of the hen house for those that don't want to fly up to the roost. Very simple for them to reach and roost on. The wide part used for roosting. I noticed if they have bumble, they tend to prefer the lower roosts. Yours could probably just hop and flap up to one that low.
She could get up to it but her foot is not working either, so she won't be able to grip it. Thank you though. I will look into avian vets in my area and see about prices... I here they are pretty expensive. I will put that nesting box on the ground and have it sleep in there I guess. Thank you again!

I just went out to the coop to check on her. I opened the coop door and all of the chickens ran out... including her! I guess I didn't lock the cage door when I checked on her late last night so she got out! She hopped over to the food like the others then just followed her sister around. Every once in a while she will sit down to give her good foot a rest then just get up and keep going! She and her sister have always been friends and now her sister won't leave her side. This morning she even left me an egg
yesss.gif
! I am blown away by her recovery. If there is an infection I will separate her but for now I am just going to leave her be. My only concern is that her comb has purple on it's tips... is this from the cold weather?

Thank you for all of your help!
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom