Raccoon attack! Help!

Are you still putting antibiotic ointment on her wound? Is water or food leaking out? Sorry that she has opened the wound again. You might try making a crop bra that would cover the wound to keep her from pecking at it. There are quite a few links on making one if you do a google search. Here is one made from a tube sock and ties:
upload_2020-1-13_20-11-45.jpeg

This is the one on her neck, right under her lower beak. It’s not leaking, it’s just a little bigger than yesterday. I am still putting vetricyn on it. I’m not running the paste on because it’s a thicker paste, and her neck is so delicate that I don’t want to rub it on there. A crop bra wouldn’t make sense because it’s on her neck.

I put a large plastic dog kennel in the trailer for her today, because her neck wound was opened up again. I assumed it was the others, and it may be also, but I saw her picking at it herself! I attempted to give her a “beautiful vet wrap necklace” but she promptly refused. Any thoughts? I let them have some supervised free time to forage for the first time since the attack and she did really good.
Chicken cone. I've seen them online before, but thats the only thing I think that can stop her. Chickens don't take well to bandages compared to dogs.*

I don’t think that would help her. If you look at the pictures I posted yesterday then you can see the wound it right under her beak. A cone would help if she’s picking at her body, but it would sit at the base of the neck. I need something that will cover it up completely. I will try the sock, but if it doesn’t work then I’ll try to let her work it out on her own. Thanks for the suggestion tho :).

I always believe to try to save. I have seen some amazing recovery. You never know until you try. The will to live/survive in animals is very strong. I have worked with animals for 30yrs and was a female Paramedic for 23yrs. Animals have a much higher pain tolerance than humans and there is also pain meds specifically for animals and other meds. It is a new developing world for treating our furry friends. They deserve it.

I always believe to try to save. I have seen some amazing recovery. You never know until you try. The will to live/survive in animals is very strong. I have worked with animals for 30yrs and was a female Paramedic for 23yrs. Animals have a much higher pain tolerance than humans and there is also pain meds specifically for animals and other meds. It is a new developing world for treating our furry friends. They deserve it.

Yea if this had happened to me I’d be such a big baby about it... update: I forgot to bring a sock today, but she seems better. She’s a little stressed
At being in the kennel, she’s been pacing. But she gobbled down some fermented feed today like a normal chicken! She’s learned when I’m going to give her medicine... and does very hard to avoid it!

Back
Top Bottom