Raccoon Attack. Hen badly injured.

Hi everyone, I just joined and am in desperate need of advice. We have a hen who was badly attacked by a raccoon. It happened yesterday and I wasnt sure she would make it through the night. She has and also seems to be more alert and doing a bit better. The majority of her injuries are to her head. Her eyes are swollen shut and part of her upper beak was broken. Her crown is halfway ripped off. I'm absolutely heartbroken for her and we almost decided to put her down, so she would not suffer but she seems to have a bit of fight left. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed, I have tried to clean her up but I didnt want to hurt her further. I put painfree-neosporin on all of her injuries but my main concern is her eyes. She was already blind in one eye before she came to us. I do not believe the raccoon injured her other eye as she seems to have perception of light. How should I clean her eye? I think she would be much better off if she could open her eye. I will try to get her to a vet tomorrow, but truthfully I dont even think the vets around me take Chickens. Is it more humane to put her out of suffering or allow her the chance to fight through? Im having much guilt watching her seem to struggle at times but then she shows me she is very much alive. Also I have given her a little water through a syringe but she is not interested in eating or drinking. Thank you much for any advice or experience you could share.

Katlyn- how did she make out? We are in the nearly exact same position with one of our hens. We lost two and are heartbroken. I have Vetericyn plus for her wounds and the same brand for her eyes (ophthalmic gel). This happened 36 hours ago and we're having a very hard time getting poor Heloise to take fluids. Hope you had a happy ending for your girl!

Back
Top Bottom