Raccoon Attack. Hen badly injured.

Katlyn

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2020
Misty is still recouperating in the house, as I don't want flies laying on her wounds. She is drinking plenty on her own and eating a little. Both of her eyes have opened and she laid an egg tonight, which I assume is a good sign, although I wish she would have reserved her energy! Just thought I'd throw out an update for all of you who helped save her life!

Flockincrazy

Songster
May 23, 2020
Elyria, Ohio
Misty is still recouperating in the house, as I don't want flies laying on her wounds. She is drinking plenty on her own and eating a little. Both of her eyes have opened and she laid an egg tonight, which I assume is a good sign, although I wish she would have reserved her energy! Just thought I'd throw out an update for all of you who helped save her life!
That is a great sign im so glad she is on the mend great job saving her life

Katlyn

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2020
It's been a while now. Misty is alive and well, thanks to all of you guys. Just thought a final update was in order. She has rejoined her flock and earned back her rightful place as the alpha hen she was. Her head wound (which was much worse than I originally thought) is most of the way healed up, she is blind in one eye, but manages just fine. I know she is grateful, as she follows me around constantly. She is always under foot or standing on my porch waiting for me to come outside. 😂

Attachments

thepick4uchicks

Songster
May 23, 2020
Mississippi
Me i would let her fight get some visene for her eyes in the tussle the coon mayhave scratched her lense it will heal faster with eyedropps and she is probably not eating and drinking cause her beak hurts make her food soft and she will get water and food at once and she can't see it to eat put it on a spoon and up to her beak you may have to feed her for a bit
Wow! Poor girl! I look at her wounds also. I believe she can live also as long as she has the will. It will just require the swelling to go down. If you are able to get her to start eating and drinking well in a few days I would try to start her on a broad spectrum antibiotic. The raccoon could be carrying any kind of disease or infection. Everyone talks about them having rabies all the time but they are much more likely to have distemper and one of the enteric diseases which is parasitic to the human colon and digestive system as a whole so if she picks up that from the coon you need to be very careful handling her also for you both could get sick from a variety of these conditions. Be very diligent about washing your hands with antibacterial soap and do not touch your mouth noses or any food or drink. Good luck with her. It looks bad but she is lucky to be alive. As you already know she has barely scraped by. If she can get passed the shock she will be okay if you can ward off the infection. Best of luck and don’t forget that antibiotic. You also might want to worm her after she gets over all of this and is solidly on her feet and has a good probiotic firmly in her digestive system. Start that ASAP.

Weeg

Crowing
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Washington
It's been a while now. Misty is alive and well, thanks to all of you guys. Just thought a final update was in order. She has rejoined her flock and earned back her rightful place as the alpha hen she was. Her head wound (which was much worse than I originally thought) is most of the way healed up, she is blind in one eye, but manages just fine. I know she is grateful, as she follows me around constantly. She is always under foot or standing on my porch waiting for me to come outside. 😂
I love this! I just found this thread and I am so glad sh tis doing better! most of the time, people down give a recovery post, so yo never know what happens in the end. She si very cute! My horses name is Misty, so I love your chicken just for the name!

JDChickChat

Cluckin’ Crazy
Premium Feather Member
Jun 6, 2020
Jacobstown, New Jersey
Hi everyone, I just joined and am in desperate need of advice. We have a hen who was badly attacked by a raccoon. It happened yesterday and I wasnt sure she would make it through the night. She has and also seems to be more alert and doing a bit better. The majority of her injuries are to her head. Her eyes are swollen shut and part of her upper beak was broken. Her crown is halfway ripped off. I'm absolutely heartbroken for her and we almost decided to put her down, so she would not suffer but she seems to have a bit of fight left. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed, I have tried to clean her up but I didnt want to hurt her further. I put painfree-neosporin on all of her injuries but my main concern is her eyes. She was already blind in one eye before she came to us. I do not believe the raccoon injured her other eye as she seems to have perception of light. How should I clean her eye? I think she would be much better off if she could open her eye. I will try to get her to a vet tomorrow, but truthfully I dont even think the vets around me take Chickens. Is it more humane to put her out of suffering or allow her the chance to fight through? Im having much guilt watching her seem to struggle at times but then she shows me she is very much alive. Also I have given her a little water through a syringe but she is not interested in eating or drinking. Thank you much for any advice or experience you could share.

I just had this happen but with a hawk. Eyes swollen shut, wing nearly ripped off, face cut up. So long as she seems to have the will to fight and live, clean her wounds with saline, put triple antibiotic ointment without pain reliever in it, crush up some baby aspirin and give it to her for pain if she seems to be hurting, keep her in a dark, warm safe place and give her lots of love. I'm so sorry.

Top Bottom