Raccoon Attack Last Night

From a quick google search, I don't think this is correct. Racoons are considered fur bearing, and trapping is regulated, but there's an exemption for raccoons that are causing damage to livestock or homes. It does say specifically that you can't relocate a raccoon without the written permission of the California department of fish and wildlife.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74116.html

For that exception to apply, the raccoons have to have actually CAUSED damage, not just passed through your yard. And you have to apply for permission to kill them. It is absolutely NOT legal to just shoot them because you think they're pests.

They were not passing through. They were trying their best to get in and kill the chicks. I guess I should wait until they kill the chicks then I would have the right to shoot them. There were four more out there last night, and I caught two in a live catch trap. Kern

For that exception to apply, the raccoons have to have actually CAUSED damage, not just passed through your yard. And you have to apply for permission to kill them. It is absolutely NOT legal to just shoot them because you think they're pests.
The california fish and game website says nothing about needing a permit to shoot one that is attacking livestock, or needing to ask for permission. . It says you need a permit to relocate, and nothing else.

And if they're trying to get into a livestock enclosure, they are causing damage, and they are attacking livestock.

The california fish and game website says nothing about needing a permit to shoot one that is attacking livestock, or needing to ask for permission. . It says you need a permit to relocate, and nothing else.

And if they're trying to get into a livestock enclosure, they are causing damage, and they are attacking livestock.

Thank you so much for the info Crazy Talk. I will not be needing a permit for relocation. My wife just called me and said she went out to look at the two in the trap, and one of the ones that ran off earlier was back and she and the raccoon had a face off at about 15 feet. I think sometimes these city raccoons loose their fear of humans and can become more than pests, maybe dangerous. Have a great day. Kern

After battling these pests, I found some used corrugated steel roofing and nailed it all around the bottom of my encloser. This solved my problem of coons reaching through the fencing to grab my birds. This solved my problem.

Back
Top Bottom