Raccoon attack now Egg bound or injured?

Henrybelle

Songster
Apr 22, 2018
Northern California
Hey everybody it’s been awhile since I’ve been around and I’ve an issue I could use your help with! to start things off today I had to cull one of my chickens due to severe head wounds from a raccoon attack. The bastard finally found a way into my coop after 4 years of success. Then all the birds were terrified to come out until much later in the day. They all seemed mostly fine just a little stand off ish. But tonight as I went to go shut everybody in securely for the night I noticed my Easter Egger came flopping around the corner she couldn’t really walk and she was panting. I checked her out for injuries and didn’t find anything. So I thought maybe the scare caused her to be egg bound? I took her to the garage gave her a few dips in warm water. I was out of Epson salts unfortunately, I towel dried her off and I have her in the bathroom for the night. I lubed up and checked around inside her to feel for the egg and I felt one but it’s like it was wrapped up, I couldn’t feel hard shell, just tissue with shell on the otherside if that makes any sense. is that normal? I had one other hen that was egg bound but it was a year or two ago and I can’t remember if that’s how it felt before she luckily passed her egg. I hope the best for my Cleo tonight. I don’t think I could bear to cull two chickens in two days. Any ideas of what could be wrong? Or how I can help her? Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi. Are you still online? Sorry about your girl. I suspect she is egg bound with a soft egg due to the stress of the raccoon attack. I highly recommend you keep her in a nice, warm, calm space and give her some calcium. A calcium citrate meant for humans would be ideal. Do you have something like that on hand and would you know how to give it to her? With pills, I prefer to administer it as-is directly to the beak so they can swallow it on their own.

Hi. Are you still online? Sorry about your girl. I suspect she is egg bound with a soft egg due to the stress of the raccoon attack. I highly recommend you keep her in a nice, warm, calm space and give her some calcium. A calcium citrate meant for humans would be ideal. Do you have something like that on hand and would you know how to give it to her? With pills, I prefer to administer it as-is directly to the beak so they can swallow it on their own.
Thank you I will see how she does overnight and try and give her some calcium in the morning . And report back

Back
Top Bottom