Raccoon attack survivor

So the 1st time they ever got in the door wasnt properly secured🤦‍♀️ When the doors properly locked very difficult to open and since they couldnt get in thru the door any more thats when they tried reaching in and they got this girl😭 but added a bunch more wire everywhere. Our coop is built around our shed and a portion of a fence. We purchased a trap and dad bought a pellet gun😬 theyre all fed up with the raccoons so now they'll likley shoot them since its also allowed to do so in our area
You can make it so they can't reach in, though. Raccoons can't reach in my run or coop because I fortified it with hardware cloth. Raccoons are notorious for reaching in.

Regardless, I really hope you get them all!

Her necks feeling better now shes able to get food on her own now. I was thinking about getting her a chicken diaper to make it a little easier while shes inside the house?😂 As for the raccoons we've noticed its a whole family of them🤦‍♀️ my brother bought a trap and my dad bought a pellet gun. The laws in our area is youre allowed to shoot them if its on your property and if you have a reason(cat/dog/poultry attack ect.) Im not exactly on bored with that but everyone in my family is furious over our pet chickens death. So likley if they come back or are trying to get into the chickens coop again. Parents or brothers will likely shoot them.

Would neosporin be safe to put on her head even if its on a sensitive area?
Yes, you can use Neosporin.

Fortifying the wire is always a good idea.
Imho, it would be best to use a .22 to dispatch a trapped racoon. I do have a very nice pellet gun, but it is not what I'd use to dispatch a raccoon.
I understand it may not be something you are quite on board with, but it's also your responsibility to try to protect your livestock. Sometimes we fail, when we do - we learn, we adapt and make changes. Having multiple layers to defend/protect your flock should be your goal. Trapping is just one part of the protection you should have in place.

Did you wear gloves when you handled her out there? If not, and you don't have that raccoon, talk to your doctor and/ or public health TOMORROW about your exposure to this raccoon's saliva, as they are major rabies carriers. Just do it!
About your hen if she's eating and drinking, that's a very good sign. Could you get her to an avian veterinarian? Otherwise, warm water to rinse these wounds, and an antibiotic wound dressing, Neosporin, better yet Silvadene, at least. Maluka honey is good too as a wound dressing. Pain meds!
Black tissue is dead tissue. Nothing like that yet, anyway.
Oral or injectable antibiotics, maybe, although then no eggs from her can be eaten, if she can lay eggs again.
All the best for her recovery.
Mary
This is exactly what I was going to post. In our area, raccoons are the most common rabies carriers.

We have a .22, perfect for small critters, especially in that live trap. Know what you're doing with it!!!
For a humane kill, aim at an imaginary X between the right eye and left ear, and the left eye to the right ear. If you need it tested for rabies, avoid the head, and shoot for the heart
^^this—if your family is definitely going to go this route, advocate for knowing how to ensure a quick and clean death. I’ve seen people on this site describe shooting a raccoon or possum repeatedly with pellet guns and then it still escaping, most likely to die a very slow and painful death.

You can make it so they can't reach in, though. Raccoons can't reach in my run or coop because I fortified it with hardware cloth. Raccoons are notorious for reaching in.

Regardless, I really hope you get them all!
I have gotten some wire in some parts but didnt have enough to put all the way around
^^this—if your family is definitely going to go this route, advocate for knowing how to ensure a quick and clean death. I’ve seen people on this site describe shooting a raccoon or possum repeatedly with pellet guns and then it still escaping, most likely to die a very slow and painful death.
Theyre from mexico and been around guns growing up😂 they never bothered getting a real gun in the U.S but their aims are nearly perfect I was so surprised when I saw them playing around with the air rifle🤣 but if it came down to it I know they wouldnt put the animal thru any unnecessary pain

I had a rooster with a similar head injury he’s made a full recovery and you’d never be able to tell he got hurt in the first place. She’s definitely got a shot in my opinion. Make sure if you’re using neosporin that you don’t use any with pain relief. The pain relief is bad for poultry. You could try cbd oil if you have it for the pain. As for keeping her inside if you have a dog kennel I’d put some bedding in there with a bowl for food and water and have a blanket over the top with a little bit exposed so she feels safe but also has light.

I had a rooster with a similar head injury he’s made a full recovery and you’d never be able to tell he got hurt in the first place. She’s definitely got a shot in my opinion. Make sure if you’re using neosporin that you don’t use any with pain relief. The pain relief is bad for poultry. You could try cbd oil if you have it for the pain. As for keeping her inside if you have a dog kennel I’d put some bedding in there with a bowl for food and water and have a blanket over the top with a little bit exposed so she feels safe but also has light.
I was away for a few days since I normally live on university campus. But shes actually been staying in my room and shes doing a lot better🙂 I didnt use neosporin only cause I was scared it would do more harm that good. Anyway she's doing a lot better

Attachments

• 20220121_204226.jpg
    20220121_204226.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220121_204153.jpg
    20220121_204153.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom