Raccoon Attack

thanks for all the advice.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to kill a raccoon (as that seems like my only option at this point)? The only guns we have in the house are high powered airsoft guns. Clubbing him I would be afraid he might attack me, would rat poison work?

Quote:
take the trap place it inside a large trash bag wrap it around your tail pipe with duct tape and turn your car on let it run for a good 5-10 min this will simply gas the coon putting him to sleep first at which point he will never wake up.

Quote:
for folks who use cage traps rain barrels work well to dispatch coons I have used a conibear trap to dispatch coon I have caught with coil spring traps. I use the belisle brand trap to dispatch with, if your father knows anyone who does ADC work he may want to borrow one of the boxes that encloses the cage trap and then hook up the CO2 they are all ways to dispatch. I do not know if NY allows relocation it has been my experience it just does not work. the more coon you rid yourself of the less you have to defend against until you can beef up your coop and run and all I firmly believe in coop knox as well as trapping and dispatching used together it just works well.

MMPoultry, thank you for that. I have gased feeder rats before and it works well. Also seems a little bit more humane than clobbering the thing. I know when i place rats in my co2 chamber, they are out in about 15-20 seconds.

The only trapping cages we have are have-a-heart traps since my dad mainly exterminates bugs and mice only. Very rarely does he do squirrles, coons, woodchucks...etc. I'll ask him tonight and see if he knows anyone.

caf.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
ask your local F&G or animal contro, to borrow/rent a trap for coon's drowning a coon is a horrible death and even though we know our chickens have suffered at the wrath of racoons time and time again 2 wrongs dont make a right. I dont suggest drowning as this coon was only doing what it does best, trying to survive. I am 100% against any torturing or suffering methods of Kill. it takes aprox 6-9 min for death to occure by drowning. thats 6-9 min of gasping for breath and only breathing water in the lungs. think about it!!!!

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your chicken hope she pull through for you. That raccoon will most definitely be back and trapping and relocating will only leave your problem on someone else. The best place to relocate that pred is to compost them some good will come of it.

It's a little insane to kill all the wildlife in your area just so you can have a few eggs.

There are ways to avoid predators (automatic doors, letting birds out after predator activity is over, electric fencing), and there are ways to trap and relocate predators. Most Raccoons are perfectly healthy, and it is easy to tell just by looking at them. If you relocate them to a new spot with water source (a nearby stream or lake), they will most likely do just fine.

I just lost 7 ducks to a raccoon and while I was clearly not happy about it, I used a Havahart trap and drove it 15 miles away next to a nearby pond. I also keep a trap setup outside the fence just in case. Raccoons come back every few nights so if they don't show up the following night, it doesn't mean they won't return. Once they learn where there is food, they will come back.

You would be surprise at how inexpensive electric fencing or automatic doors can be.

If you need a trap, Amazon sells them (just search for 'Havahart Raccoon', their new single hand setup traps are really great and about $50) and will get it to you in 2-3 days. A little bit of cat food, salami, fruit, and peanut butter in a small can at the back of the trap will do the trick.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom