Raccoon bitten chicken: still edible?

Oh goodness, alright, thanks for all the replies. I really had no intention of eating it, but my dad had some ideas, so I was just curious. Thanks again for all the replies though, the poor girl is currently in a plastic bag in the trash can outside. We had another raccoon victim today... hopefully she'll survive past the injuries... and if anyone has any idea how to get rid of a raccoon, please do tell!!

I am sorry for your loss. Do you have any hunters in your family? If so, tell them to have at it. You could also trap the raccoon and then shoot or drown it. Somewhere on here someone had a trap and a huge rubbermaid bin filled with water. I suspect she had no gun and made do with what she had.

About eating the chicken, I doubt I would do it either. In an eat-it-or-starve situation, as the earlier poster said, I would boil the heck out of it. Several years ago we had a rabies scare in our area because three or four raccoons were picked up by Animal Control and found to be positive.

My vet told me then that the rabies virus is pretty fragile and that soap and hot water would kill it if you or your pet had saliva or foam on your skin. But animal bite wound is a different matter altogether! Be sure you clean up the wounds on your survivor and wash, wash, wash yourself. Even if the raccoon does not have rabies they are germy critters and their bite is likely to cause infection.

Quote:
Thank you so much for the help! Unfortunately, no we do not have any hunters, and we live in an urban area, so that would not work well...
Oh goodness, I hope those rabies-positive raccoons stay away from your area!
And I will definitely wash with massive amounts of soap. I'm just not too sure what to do about the girl, she's really loud and my parents weren't willing to disinfect the wound first with betadine or a solution of the sorts, so they immediately just placed a certain ointment on it. I was told that the ointment also has disinfecting abilities, and I hope that's true. But I can't help but worry it's not enough...
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom