Raccoon Broad Daylight

Since I covered my pens with netting, put electric wire around the coops and pens and concrete under the gates, I have had two breaches. One was a Red Tail hawk and the other was a Great Horned Owl, aerial predators. I didn't quite have enough netting to completely cover my pens so I bought some online but it wasn't what I thought it was but put it up anyway thinking it would probably deter any aerial predators. I have since replaced the crappy netting with some good netting and the Owl went for another try and got caught in the new netting. We got it into a cage and some wildlife people came and got it. As far as ground predators, they respect the electric wire.
2014-11-18 17.08.39.jpg

These are pullets that were killed by the hawk about ready to start laying.
IMG_20190911_173150.jpg

The Owl going through the crappy netting.
DSCF00031125 02.jpg
IMG_20200229_133056.jpg

You won't find the momma's den. Even if you do it's most likely gonna be high up and hard for a human to get to. Right now her little ones should be big enough you might find them in a few days out trying to track her down.
Morning! Woke up this morning and the baby raccoons were in our yard. 😩. Now they are up in a tree after being scared by our little dog.

Since I covered my pens with netting, put electric wire around the coops and pens and concrete under the gates, I have had two breaches. One was a Red Tail hawk and the other was a Great Horned Owl, aerial predators. I didn't quite have enough netting to completely cover my pens so I bought some online but it wasn't what I thought it was but put it up anyway thinking it would probably deter any aerial predators. I have since replaced the crappy netting with some good netting and the Owl went for another try and got caught in the new netting. We got it into a cage and some wildlife people came and got it. As far as ground predators, they respect the electric wire.
View attachment 2175305
These are pullets that were killed by the hawk about ready to start laying.
View attachment 2175319
The Owl going through the crappy netting.
View attachment 2175317View attachment 2175320
Thanks for the info! We haven’t really had any problems with hawks or owls although we have them around. Our barn and run are surrounded by a lot of trees so maybe this deters the hawks. At night they are in their barn that is completely enclosed. Sorry about your birds...that stinks!

Morning! Woke up this morning and the baby raccoons were in our yard. 😩. Now they are up in a tree after being scared by our little dog.

How big were they? Should be about 1-2 lbs, if thats the case they on the larger size of being small enough to catch and tame for a pet if any are females. Any bigger than that or male and they don't tame as well. Otherwise gonna have to get rid of them before they find the chicken coop.

Back
Top Bottom