Raccoon broke in but left the chickens? Or did it steal from another animal???

Pics
Yeah I definitely need to secure the gate better!!! But I wasn’t really sure how to while still being able to open the gate. Although even so, would that be big enough for a raccoon to fit through??? It looks like a pretty big one by the prints. Plus of course the prints on the box/outside which I don’t think would have happened if it went in from the inside? But definitely do need to secure that more!

I didn’t realize they could lift heavy stuff!! It’s somewhat difficult for even me to open which is why I thought surely there’d be no way but I suppose anything is possible.

And yeah, I really don’t like those latches! My dad’s idea. I’m thinking maybe I need to put a lock on them.

The whole thing is just so weird though because none of the doors are open and the chickens don’t seem bothered :confused:

I think I’m going to start shutting the pop door though and better secure the gate. Though of course with the pop door shut that won’t matter as much but still going to work on it.

If they managed to open the lid though, would they have been able to figure out how to get back out?
[/QUOTE

Oh wow I had no idea they could fit in such small spaces!! :eek: :th

And yeah I’m going to but I also don’t think I’m ever going to be able to eliminate them all. We live in a pretty wooded area so I’m sure there’s a lot.

But I’ve been locking them inside for now so nothing can get them.
You'll probably never be able to stop all of them. Occasional loss is something we all do our best to avoid but it still happens to the best of us. We just learn as we go and do the best we can.

K thanks. So you think raccoon then?

I am thinking the tracks that are pictured are probably opossum. Like you said in one of your previous posts, the tracks don't "look "human" enough to be raccoon, the fingers are too short and the print is just too wide and stubby." That is pretty much the description of an opossum track when comparing it to a raccoon track.

Just another FYI for you as I am not sure if you are a trap and eliminate type person or a trap and relocate type person, If you catch a skunk in a live trap and want to relocate it rather than eliminate it, find an old blanket and hold it up in front of you as you approach the live trap and then lay the blanket over the live trap so that they can't see out. This usually will keep them from spraying so you can load them up in the back of a pickup to drive them to their new location. Make sure you relocate at least 5 miles away or they will be back. My grandpa was catching the animals that came up to eat their cat and dog food and was relocating them....many came back as he was not taking them far enough away.

Relocating skunks, raccoons, and opossums, at least is illegal in most states, because of disease transmission issues!!1 In Michigan, it's legal to relocate on the owner's property, or within the same county on private land with landowner's permission. And it's highly discouraged, for good reasons!
BTW, skunks and raccoons are prime carriers of rabies, not something to spread around.
Mary

Relocating skunks, raccoons, and opossums, at least is illegal in most states, because of disease transmission issues!!1 In Michigan, it's legal to relocate on the owner's property, or within the same county on private land with landowner's permission. And it's highly discouraged, for good reasons!
BTW, skunks and raccoons are prime carriers of rabies, not something to spread around.
Mary

Thanks for pointing that out. My grandpa was relocating to the far end of his property....not quite far enough away. My husband and I are not catch and release people. If the predator is after our livestock or pets, it is a threat and will be taken care of. I wouldn't relocate an animal just for the reason that I don't want to make someone else have to deal with it eating or injuring their livestock or pets.

You'll probably never be able to stop all of them. Occasional loss is something we all do our best to avoid but it still happens to the best of us. We just learn as we go and do the best we can.
That’s true! Thanks! I’ve actually never lost one to raccoons before but I definitely need to be prepared.

Thanks for pointing that out. My grandpa was relocating to the far end of his property....not quite far enough away. My husband and I are not catch and release people. If the predator is after our livestock or pets, it is a threat and will be taken care of. I wouldn't relocate an animal just for the reason that I don't want to make someone else have to deal with it eating or injuring their livestock or pets.
Yeah, I would definitely eliminate!! I didn’t used to think that I would but I’ve been on here a while and have read the stuff about relocating being bad so that changed my mind. Although I don’t technically own a gun but my brother does own a few and he lives down the street so he could probably do it for me. Or I wonder if a BB gun would work if it was powerful enough?

Yeah, I would definitely eliminate!! I didn’t used to think that I would but I’ve been on here a while and have read the stuff about relocating being bad so that changed my mind. Although I don’t technically own a gun but my brother does own a few and he lives down the street so he could probably do it for me. Or I wonder if a BB gun would work if it was powerful enough?

BB gun would probably not be enough - Small birds at the most. High powered pellet gun would work for a rodent up to the size of the opossum, maybe raccoon with a couple shots - pellet guns shoot about the same as a bb gun (not much kick). We use a .22 rifle.

The hint on the skunk also works if you want to release it from the trap to shoot it instead of shooting it in the trap - then you don't have to try to get the smelly thing out of trap by hand.

BB gun would probably not be enough - Small birds at the most. High powered pellet gun would work for a rodent up to the size of the opossum, maybe raccoon with a couple shots - pellet guns shoot about the same as a bb gun (not much kick). We use a .22 rifle.

The hint on the skunk also works if you want to release it from the trap to shoot it instead of shooting it in the trap - then you don't have to try to get the smelly thing out of trap by hand.
Thank you!!! Very helpful!!

Back
Top Bottom