1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RACCOON CONTROL

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by seansw7, Feb 10, 2009.

1. seansw7

seansw7 New Egg

Feb 10, 2009
    I trap coon in town for people using this method: In the back of my livetrap I run a piece of baling wire about half way up all the way across the back of the trap. Wire it on one side. Then I will place 4 or 5 marshmellows on the wire (just like putting them on for roasting) then hook the wire on the other side. Dont wrap it to tight because it will be easier to rebait the trap. After you get that done use ANISE oil you can get it a the supermarket. It smell like black licorecce. It doesnt take alot a bottle will last me a month or more. This bait will not catch dogs, cats ect.. It only works on coons. I use this bait in town with no worries about non target animals. I hope this post will help someone out thank you

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    mmmm, YUM

3. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I use eggs to bait my trap and it catches skunks, raccoons, and possums.
    The feral cats are not attracted to the eggs. I save any really soiled or cracked eggs for the trap. We put one just outside the trap and one all the way at the back of the trap. Works really well and I never run out of bait. [​IMG]

chel

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    MY bother puts chocolate X-lax under a 5 gal bucket. The coons love the X-lax, eat it and never comes back.

5. CA-reds

CA-reds Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    kentucky
    20 gage shotgun works good to keep out racoons.[​IMG]:ya

6. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:My 0.22 Ruger makes much less noise, or I trap them.

Save my shotgun cartrige for a human predator (my house and family)

LOL

7. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    We just throw some cat food in the bottom of a live trap. We've caught coons, possums, the neighbor's cat, and our cat. We turned the cats loose, and the others are no longer with us.

We haven't had any problems with coons getting to our chickens (knock on wood), but they sure did a number on the cat food in our barn. The food was inside a bucket with latching lid, and the bucket was locked inside a large dog kennel. They pulled the whole bucket to the side of the kennel (as much as 18 lbs of food), unlatched the handle and scooped out what they wanted. We figured that made it a great bait for the trap.

8. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Im glad there is a post on this. I got a trap from a man who traps for a living and he used marshmellows.....Theres also some ferile cats that I would like to get rid of. Do you think that since what ever is eating my chickens seems to like the taste of chicken, I could put a dead one in the back of the trap?

9. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    I think that I need to get my trap back out, I just lost my Mr. Roo and 3 hens to a predator today. I just shiver at the loss. My Mr. Roo was a great protector of his little flock. I found the other survivors hiding. They are terrified, now they don't have their protector. It is just heartbreaking. Last summer I trapped a few coons, skunks, possums, rabbits, and cats. I let the rabbits and cats go, but the other's are dead. I am just angry that I lost them today.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by