Raccoon deterents

I've had great success trapping the little beasties using dry dog food as bait. Because it gets stuck in the holes on the floor of the trap, they dig for it and it sets off the trap. Then I dispatch them with a .22 to the head and feed them to the buzzards.

You can also try sprinkling coyote urine around the perimeter of the coop. (Found at feed and/or hunting stores, and at Amazon) The smell will scare off most coons and possums.

The downside is... it may also attract coyotes!

Kathy in Texas

Quote:
Where do you live? I will be sure to bring all MY skunks to your place next time I trap some. Take care of your own problems and dont dump them off on others.

Bring em here
big_smile.png
I'd like some new skins. And what I ment is take them out and shoot them if it is illegal to shoot them in the city.

Tonight I scared off a raccoon that was chasing one of my chickens. I lost a chicken last week to a raccoon. Most of my chickens prefer to sleep in the barn, which leaves them unprotected from predators. I have horses, a donkey and goats that share the area so I am at a loss as to what to do to rid the raccoons without causing any harm to the rest of my 'zoo'. Shooting is not an option for me (I'd probably shoot myself). Anyone know what would be safe for my barnyard without putting my group at risk?

I was all fat and sassy thinking I was doing so good with our birds:celebrate.... until tonight.
he.gif

My husband came in and said "I think your dog got the birds."
barnie.gif
(When ever the Doberman is "bad" she is YOUR dog to whom ever is being addressed at the time LOL) I went out to see what happened after the Doberman came in from her potty break. 6 Guineas had decided once again not to go to the coop tonight when we went to shut up the coop. They usually stay in the oak tree over the coop and so are not an issue with the dog. This has been an on going problem but they have been fine for weeks doing this despite my efforts to get everyone in at night. I can't chase a bird up a tree
sad.png

This was not the work of the doberman. I've seen what her toys look like. These 2 guineas were mostly undisturbed except they were missing their heads. Add that to the fact that one was in the yard and one in the back of the pick up which I have NEVER seen the doberman show any interest in getting in. 2 down.
th.gif

The others no where to be found in their usual tree above the coop they share with the rest of the guineas and the chickens. I inspected the rest of the yard and saw no birds either.

So i go to let the goats guardian dog out to scare off what I suspect is a raccoon. She found a live Guinea under my car and dispatched it. 3 down
hit.gif
and not my intent. I never thought about a bird being UNDER my car!
sad.png

She then ran around to the horse lane and found another already dead one. Same MO 4 down:th.

Reinspected the rest of the birds area / our yard and didn't find the other 2. So I head back in the house. About 30 min later I hear a guinea being killed in the east pasture. Not the dog. The bunch of feathers was on the other side of the fence but no bird to be found. So I put the guardian dog back with the goats. I checked the coop several times and the birds in there seemed undisturbed.

The chickens are so good about going to their coop at night. Which is awesome because their job is to eat bugs and stuff around the yard and give us eggs. The Guineas were bought as tick control. Hard to let them roam the property for ticks if they won't come in at night and are dinner for a raccoon.

What really irks me is it is such a waste! ONLY the head! At least eat most of the bird if your going to kill it *sigh*

Payday I am investing in motion lights and tomorrow I plan to have my husband start peeing around the coop and tree. I never in my life thought I would ask my husband to pee anywhere but in the bathroom. He is house trained though so I never have to ask him to do that just to clarify :lauLOL

I have read through this thread and several others on the site. If I missed something though other suggestion are always welcome.

I have to say, our raccoons had left our chickens alone. I think probably from them roosting at night in the tree that maybe it helped them get the guineas? Either way that is a big ol that SUCKS. Geesh. I'd be furious because I'm with you, at least take the entire bird! Aside from your husband peeing all over the place, I'm sure that'll make him feel all good lol, we've tried the lights, we've tried a lot of things and for us? The only thing that REALLY worked was one night I got fed up with them climbing up our drainspout near my window so I opened it, looked out and said "You get OUT of here! Don't look at me, or growl like that. Get out! Go!" lmao Yep I yelled at the coon like I would a dog. It stayed away for a while.

But... they are still around... lol They are just quieter about things. lol Around here I think they're so used to "people" that normal things for wilder coons won't work. I live in a neighborhood. But maybe other suggestions like the radio playing loud around the coop would work, but then you might have birds staying awake. I can't do that part since I'm in a neighborhood. Good luck though!!

Quote:
Same here. My closest neighbor said "shoot 'em all."
I shot 10 coons + 2 foxes over last summer/fall, and still continue to set the traps but haven't caught anything noteworthy since October. I use dry cat food as bait. I've still seen a few in the neighborhood a few streets over, but I guess the trash supply is good on their street because they haven't yet come to my street. I use the term "neighborhood" loosely, technically it's the main road in that leads to my road and one other. They've not penetrated my coop since I completed it, but I don't allow the raccoons a chance. A good coop/pen is still the BEST defense.

I would suggest making your chicken coop and run like Fort Knox, meaning hardware cloth around every opening, preferably over welded wire. I also have an apron of hardware cloth buried about three inches below ground out to about 18 inches out to prevent anything digging underneath. I am also using Night Guards on all four corners of my coop/run. I live out in the country with lots of predators around here, including bobcats and coyotes, and have never had a problem.

try a chew deterrent around the coop. you can get it in most pet stores. made for dogs but don't know why it wouldn't work on coons. bells could help. your best option would be a motion scare crow. it's a motion sensor attached to a light and a sound track. usually barking dogs or something.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom