Raccoon- I think.

2 Magnolias Egg

Chirping
Jun 9, 2020
Hey folks!

Ive had (I think) a raccoon kill 3 chickens and duck in the past week. Ive set a trap to catch it. Any suggestions on bait? How long do I leave it out? One head got popped off in my big coop. Then it got into my little coop and murdered two while injuring another. It was a bad scene for the two that got killed. Poor girls. The duck, well it just disappeared. Nothing but a few feathers.

Thanks for the help.

Raccoons love marshmallows. No other animal goes for them, so it minimizes the risk of capturing something else. You could also use a hard boiled egg-the smell travels to attract. And nearly empty can of cat food or canned fish-nearly empty bc they make s big mess once trapped.

important to note that it is usually illegal to relocate wildlife. So, if you are not going to dispatch the predator so it is dead, don’t trap. Instead, fortify the coop/run area.

If I capture him, justice will be served for my girls.
Good luck. My neighbors flock was killed entirely over 2 nights by raccoons. We (3 neighbors) killed 11 raccoons over the course of a couple of weeks. We had raccoons coming around our coop/run area for awhile (before and after neighbor flock massacre) until we thinned out that local coon population. But that year everyone was having issues -some people we knew were up to 30 coons dispatched that year!!

Back
Top Bottom