Raccoon, more suggestions? Poison?

I've gotten some trap-wise predators before by up-sizing the trap. I had one tricky raccoon that wouldn't go in the live trap I have (which is plenty big), so I borrowed a big, dog sized live trap from the humane society, and got it the first night.

I will also add that the predators around here escalated to coyotes, so nine months ago I got a REALLY big livestock guardian dog that sleeps out by the coops at night, and I have not seen a skunk, possum, or raccoon since!

If you are really worried about it getting into the coop, you could put hot wire around it until you get the guy. That should at least keep him out!

i put a few chicks in a small cage to make some noise, spread out some chicken livers around the cage and waited, parked my bronco in shooting range, and bingo, seen it coming in flipped lights on , and the rest is history

i have used a portable radio on a 24 hr talk show, keeping the volume down but still loud enough to hear, it seems to have helped me out alot, than ya have something to listen to when doing coop cleaning as well

Does sound trap shy. As for baits, my father was a professional skunk and raccoon trapper for many years and swore by chocolate cake.

I like the suggestion of trying a larger sized trap.

An old farmer told me if you want to kill coons take some powdered fly killer and put it in an aluminum pie plat, pour grape soda on it and set it out. The raccoons cannot resist the grape soda and drink it, thereby consuming the poison. He said the only go feet before they die. Hope this helps.

I just want to point out politely that using fly bait (golden malren) other than it's intended purpose is illegal.

Not saying I don't know about it, or know people who've successfully used it, but want to point out that in a public forum that LEO's do indeed read this.

Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that. I will generally quote someone and forget the disclaimer, since I never plan on taking that course of action myself. As with any advice it is best to look into the legality of it for yourself. Countless times I have been told yeah go ahead, its no problem, i.e. legal, only to look into it a little and discover that it is not.
It seems as though the old time farmers, at least around here, don't care if it is legal or not just so long as it gets the job done.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom