Raccoon or Weasel?

Labil

Hatching
Aug 17, 2019
The first time it happened was a couple of weeks ago when i ealked out to find one of my hens up against the fence eith its head pulled off. Then two days ago i went out to feed and onr of my ducks had its head and neck almost pulled off but not quite. Then yesterday morning i walk into my coop and theres 5 dead chickens, 4 which had their heads pulled off, a dead duck which almost looked normal save for a small bloody spot on the back of its neck, and 10 missing pullets. I found most of the pullets bodies behund the coop in the farmers field and the tall weeds all except one with their heads pulled off. The only place something could have got in was a 2 or 3 inch gap under the door, and when i walked up to my chicken coop when of the hens was halfway pulled underneath the door,

Oh my goodness i just noticed all the spelling errors, please ignore that i stayed up out until 5:45 this morning to kill whatever predator but it didnt show up.

This morning i didnt come inside till 6:00 am, between that time and 6:30 am the raccoon avoided avoided my traps killed two of my bigest roosters and two of my hens.

:welcome :frow So sorry for you loss. Did you see the coon? I have game cameras up so I know what I'm dealing with. I have sat up on nights waiting for a predator to return. They were long nights. I sat up one night waiting on a fox. I had set out some leg traps using one of the birds it had killed. I sat up all night and didn't realize it until the next morning I had caught the fox in the leg traps. I did the same thing with a bobcat that killed 14 birds a couple of night prior.
IMG_3312.JPG IMG_4004.JPG

This morning i didnt come inside till 6:00 am, between that time and 6:30 am the raccoon avoided avoided my traps killed two of my bigest roosters and two of my hens.

So sorry! And welcome, at a sad time for your flock.
Get your survivors in a safe place right away, and reinforce their coop today! Electric fencing or electrified poultry wire is a fast fix if it's allowed where you live, and rebuild!
Pictures will help us with your coop and run issues.
Live trap only if you will shoot your predators!
All the best,
Mary

OP......you don't give a location, but if you have mink in your area, you might want to consider putting one of those on your list of suspects.

And if that were me, a better use of my time would be to spend it shoring up the chicken house to exclude all varmints......vs staying up all night guarding it.

First step in eliminating threat from any predator is to ID it. Best way to do that is through the use of a game camera. Aim it at the location you believe to be the point of entry. What happens next depends on what the game camera reveals.

Back
Top Bottom