Raccoon problem...Help with roof for dog run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sg4, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Sg4

Sg4 Chirping

Aug 7, 2017
    Hey BYC family! So I've been using a 10x10 dog kennel for my coop for a couple of yrs now. Works great for my girls. I have a roof over the top to keep them dry, protected from hawks, etc. Problem is, I have a trash panda (raccoon) getting in thru the top and bothering my sweethearts. He injured one of them a couple weeks ago (shes ok now). I've set a trap but he isn't falling for it. Since they are too clever and can tear right thru the fabric on the cover and slip in, I need some ideas on predator proof rooftop to keep him out. I'm not that "handy" with this type of thing. The outside of the coop is covered in hardware cloth. I'd like to cover the top with it as well...but I dont know the best way to do this? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Trimurtisan likes this.
  2. BarredRockMom

BarredRockMom Crowing

Jun 9, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I think that if you could possibly post pictures and dimensions, the handy folks on here might be better able to give you some tips.

Until you get the top secured, are you able to lock them up for the nights??

Trimurtisan and aart like this.
  3. nuthatched

nuthatched Chirping

Nov 9, 2019
    Rim Country
    Hardware cloth, poultry mesh (aka chicken wire) laid across the top, you might need some lumber or rebar to brace it. (heavy duty staple it to the lumber or secure with wire) Double layers overlapping, secured with wire or zip ties, attached with thick wire or the like to the runs' frame.
    We had the worst racoon problems when we raised chickens for show...
    Oh, some sort of noise maker, like big ol jingle bells so you can her them running amok and hopefully scare them off.

Trimurtisan and Sg4 like this.
  4. CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer Crowing

Jun 16, 2013
    northwest Arkansas
    You are using too small a trap or not the right bait if you can’t catch the raccoon. But there will always be more coons. Can you put on a metal roof?

hayley3 likes this.
  5. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    You say you have a roof, what is it made of? How is the raccoon getting in? You are not handy to build, can you hire help? Pics are really needed so we can offer suggestions.

6. Criticalicious

Criticalicious Crowing

Feb 25, 2017
    New Market, VA
    Don't use chicken wire. Raccoons can tear through it like tissue paper.

7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

0F487AD4-2DDC-442A-AB01-4B86B0540F01.jpeg 965047B2-E498-4958-9808-89010CCB6E80.jpeg My kennel roof and you can add wire to the wood.

Trimurtisan, Sg4 and perkolator like this.
  8. ellenscoop

ellenscoop Songster

Feb 21, 2015
    Indiana
  9. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    chickens really likes this.
  10. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

No I'm not...I just posted a picture of my roof and Ducks pen. No raccoon here in my area.

BarredRockMom likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: