Raccoon scalped my young chicken

Dear AImless Farmer!
Wow, what a story! Mine is really snuggly too. SHe waits for us every evening, looking forward to go in. Does anyone know how to fashion chicken diapers because if it wasn't for accidents, she would be as nice as a little dog. She is SO sweet! She still has a scab on her head and I haven't let her back in with the others. She wanders around the yard on her own while the rest are in their pen.

I'm totally freaked out about your carnage. Why would that happen?! The rooster is supposed to protect the hens! Maybe you have to separate the roo.

You know how I introduced my little chicks? I sectioned off a portion of the chicken yard with a board going across the bottom and a net coming down in front of the board. Anyway, the board was screwed to the sides of the pen so that there was a space under the board that was only high enough for the chicks to run in and out, but the big hens couldn't crawl under. That also let the little ones eat on their own. The net came down over the board so that I could reach over the board to reach into the babies. I supposed if I could do construction, maybe I would have built a fence with a gate. But it worked well that they could crawl in and out under the board.

Good luck Aimless Farmer. I think you live near me because I live in Providence.

Back
Top Bottom