Raccoons and Electric Fencing a Fire Escape Only.

Cfdm10199

Hatching
Jun 22, 2022
My house has a fire escape that sits on the ground and goes to the 3rd floor.
This allows raccoons access to my roof and attic.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use an electric fence on the fire escape alone, instead of electrifying the perimeter fence which is a wooden stockade fence and has neighbors on both sides

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

You can electrify anything. However things like metal (or anything conductive) and soil take special consideration. I've been on a fair number of fire escapes so I assume yours is metal.
Are you wanting to electrify the entire thing or just the bottom where they access it?
Assuming the latter, you need to create a barrier around the base or around anything they can climb on to obtain access to a higher part. To do so, you have to isolate the electrified wire from the metal of the escape or ladder portion. That is done using any of a number of insulators. The idea is to create that hot barrier that can be attached to the fire escape yet electrically insulated/isolated from the metal.
Another option is to make the entire fire escape hot. Likely the top where attached to the roof is at some juncture is isolated from other metallic structures.

A diagram of your setup and pictures aplenty will help us.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom