Raccoons Coming During Rains

never dealt with ants, i put marshmellow under the trigger of my dukes and a little dallop of peanutbutter on the lip. they reach in the trap, feel the marshmellow and try and pull it out.

never dealt with ants, i put marshmellow under the trigger of my dukes and a little dallop of peanutbutter on the lip. they reach in the trap, feel the marshmellow and try and pull it out.
These darn raccoons are not coming anywhere near the traps, even when traplines set where I know the raccoons go, ..........when it rains. They only come on the first rainy night or two before they stop. Pattern has been well established for several months. Next rain event I will try addition of peanut butter. Dogs like the stuff too.

My coon traffic had also abated in past week. Had caught 2 possums, but no coon. That has changed in recent days with numerous visits. Set traps and caught a young coon last night. Cameras suggest I missed a couple bigger ones. They were there, but I didn't catch them. Coil spring trap on this one, so fault was mine.

In this heat and humidity, a marshmallow will go stale and sticky in a day or so. Try keeping a fresh bait in traps (dump any stale bait out on the ground at base of trap). Turns out possums like licorice as much as coons do, but not much else does. Once you start using baits that attract a wide variety of consumers, (cat food, canned fish, PB, etc) targeting only one of them gets tougher. A sweet and smoky BBQ sauce works wonders for coons, but canines will notice the smoke too and come visit. Grape jelly also works for coons, but makes a sticky mess inside a DP trap, so maybe a little on the rim. Or set a fresh marshmallow and add a drop of vanilla extract for perfume.

Also seems to help me when I scatter very small amounts of bait like dry catfood on the ground to focus attention and activity on a specific spot. Like a 20 foot circle. That concentrates their activity into that specific spot where they will find my specific bait in the DP.

PS: Orshceln in my town doesn't have Z traps either Trap selection picked over and down to almost nothing.

Last edited:
Last night I had two game cameras out. Based on recordings, the fox was milling about just past my pens for most of the night. It appears to be going after something in tall grass while mostly walking on mowed pathway. Fox spending so much effort that the grass is getting wallowed down like my dogs do wen going after a weasel. Dogs could be seen going out to check on fox, yet fax would be back in 30 minutes or so.

Still no raccoons.

We went for a spell without rain, then about 1 hour ago it started. I promptly went out to make sure everything ready for rain then came back in. Dogs not patrolling because of lightening I could feel, but only barely hear. About 20 minutes ago I could hear an adult chicken (game rooster) squalling in the darkness. I ran out immediately with no light or weapons causing critter to break off. Then I went back in to collect rifle, light and dogs. Dogs came out and ran straight to problem but it had already ran to north through a set of chain-link fences that border are property. Our fuzzy buddies have not been coming from that direction for a while. They come most often when it rains for the first time in a while. Odds are they will visit again tomorrow morning as well. Traps will be re-positioned.

Rooster lost a small number of feathers and does appear to have real wounds.

We went for a spell without rain, then about 1 hour ago it started. I promptly went out to make sure everything ready for rain then came back in. Dogs not patrolling because of lightening I could feel, but only barely hear. About 20 minutes ago I could hear an adult chicken (game rooster) squalling in the darkness. I ran out immediately with no light or weapons causing critter to break off. Then I went back in to collect rifle, light and dogs. Dogs came out and ran straight to problem but it had already ran to north through a set of chain-link fences that border are property. Our fuzzy buddies have not been coming from that direction for a while. They come most often when it rains for the first time in a while. Odds are they will visit again tomorrow morning as well. Traps will be re-positioned.

Rooster lost a small number of feathers and does appear to have real wounds.
Calling Dr. Centrarchid -your needed in the we. Pleaase bring all necessary medical supplies-and raingear. Please bring junior Dr. Centrarchid (to hold umbrella).😉

Calling Dr. Centrarchid -your needed in the we. Pleaase bring all necessary medical supplies-and raingear. Please bring junior Dr. Centrarchid (to hold umbrella).😉
We setup traps for raccoons tonight. Got some storms and more coming during early part of night. Traps baited with the seasons first sweet persimmons. Had to wait for chickens to roost before traps close to house could be kept properly baited. We had a fan club once they saw I had the delectable fruit. Dogs also love them.

Son and daughter helped with this effort.

Back
Top Bottom