Raccoons!!!! :o

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by starforever61, Nov 9, 2009.

1. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Hi guys! It's been a while since I've posted! We just got our chickens yesterday! They are very pretty and they are sex links. [​IMG] Let's get to the issue...
    Last night, I went out to check on my girlies and they were all fine. I shut the coop door and heard a rustle in the leaves. (There is a thick forest next to my house) I shined the flashlight and saw 2 bright eyes...pure evil. [​IMG] I've read tons of posts on here about people being angry and afraid for their babies and thought I understood, but now I truly understand how you feel... I shall be waiting outside with a gun...as soooooooon as I get a break from school. [​IMG] I've heard of all sorts of deterants...do they work? Thanks!
    Starforever

2. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    I think your gun idea is your best bet.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Wow, can't believe they found you the first day you have the chickens. Good luck!

4. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    I know! I was horrified that it came the very first night! They must have a really good nose...

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    We waited outside with gun at the ready when a coon took one of our chickens, no luck.

We bought a trap. No luck at first, they turned the trap (kinda rolled it) and got the bait out.

We shot two a few nights later when taking the dog out to pee - the dog went NUTS barking up a tree and we found two of them up there.
    We then used zip ties to tie the live trap to the side of the run (outside) and managed to trap another one.

They very seldom travel alone, if those mean eyes belonged to a coon, there are probably more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by