Raccoons - Warning: Graphic Photos

Yep, I use staples. I will add a skirt before I leave and get some better latches. I have another opening to the run we just built but its screwed shut right now... My coop in our side yard which is not closed off by a fence. It's also is up against a chainlink fence that my neighbor and I share. I
I'm now seeing so many issues :barnie

If they sleep inside the coop and the cute is secure The fencing outside of it shouldn’t be an issue till they Are outside your coop. I never trust staples anymore. I’ve had a raccoon pull my hardware cloth and popped the staples out where it had about a 3 inch opening and was able to stick his little arm in there. They’re amazingly crafty and smart. I will always use fencing nails or they can be called u nails. And put them in a slightly downward angle. But whenever you have the chance send a picture and I can give you some pointers because we have definite credit or problems And tons of people on here too with I’m sure many suggestions.

I have game cameras up around on my property. A couple of years ago some people were catching and releasing skunks in my area. I had a skunk attempt to dig under the gate to my chick coop. The pop door was mostly closed and some of the chicks couldn't get into the coop. I went out because I realized that I had forgot to close the pop door. I went out and saw the skunk and went in to get my gun. I first attempted to scare it off but it stomped it's feet at me like it was challenging me, so I shot it. I put some live traps out and caught over a dozen skunks in a few days. One night I had 2 skunks in one trap. I ran into a wildlife officer in town and told him about my skunk problem and he said I could shoot them as they weren't endangered. I found out about someone releasing the skunks in my area from a friend.

If she has them releasing those skunks on camera somebody should definitely take that to law-enforcement. Because it had to be a consistent thing to trap that many skunks! In most states and areas that’s illegal. For that reason. Some people make me crazy. To relocate all those skunks right near where people live especially. And how does somebody get a hold of that many of them

I am all for protecting my flock
I am an animal lover but I would kill any animal that was trying to kill my flock or my other animals. My babies stay in their place and I hope the others stay in their ace because if they cross the line I am going to have to dig a grave. I would feel sad about it

I first attempted to scare it off but it stomped it's feet at me like it was challenging me, so I shot it.

I don't disagree with shooting it. Relocating isn't just illegal, it's bad on a lot of fronts. The relocated animal isn't going to be familiar with it's new home and can easily starve. Since the poor thing doesn't know where food is, it's more likely to go looking for human residence to find fast food.

Wherever it's relocated to already has wildlife, so the relocation is going to disrupt the habitat where it's released.

But, skunks always stomp when they're afraid. It's how they warn that they are about to blow a stinky.

Unfortunately the best way and I think only legal way to get a raccoon away is to shoot it. I had one in my shed in the middle of the day that we did not let me in my shed and showed me it’s teeth. I was pretty convinced it had rabies or some sort of disease because I’ve never seen a raccoon challenge me usually they run off and I don’t usually see Them in the middle of the day. And all my chickens were out free ranging the yard. We don’t have a gun yet but I called my mother-in-law and she loves that kind of stuff so she took care of that for me but I am a huge animal lover and I did cry quite a bit but it’s not going to do anybody any good to let it keepPopulating and spreading any kind of disease to other animals in the area. And obviously we all need to protect our chickens. And re-locating it is illegal in most areas and I feel like almost the wrong thing to do because then you’re giving somebody else a problem

did not let me in my shed and showed me it’s teeth. I was pretty convinced it had rabies or some sort of disease because I’ve never seen a raccoon challenge me usually they run off and I don’t usually see Them in the middle of the day.
You had it 'trapped' or 'cornered' in the shed.
Even healthy raccoons, or other animals, will be hunting in the day, if they're hungry they're hunting, especially if they have young to feed...doesn't mean they are rabid.

Back
Top Bottom