Raccoons

A coon can, and will open a latch. They are very smart when it comes to getting into anything. We had coons take out our entire flock last year so we got a live trap and kill em. An opened can of tuna fish works good as bait, so does dry cat food. We've caught many coons and opossums, 1 stray cat and 1 skunk.

Raccoons can open latches and they can chew through chicken wire. They are like young kids in some ways. Never underestimate their abiliities. And they are everywhere, whether you see them or not. Leaving food out for them will only draw in a larger coon population.

Quote:
It sure does... I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning...well, now come to think of it, I like it at all times of the day and night!

...so, grab yer shovel, and let's get 'er done!
gig.gif

Last edited:
Speckledhen I see you have had a run in with some really viscous children to be able to say : "Raccoons can open latches and they can chew through chicken wire. They are like young kids in some ways."
I myself have never seen children chew through chicken wire. What did you do put their Xbox in a wire cage? haha

Seriously, Frenzy, I am sorry you lost your silkie. I am afraid that I have to chime in with others here on the predator problem.
I lived in bliss for TWO YEARS, thinking I was doing all the right things unitill I came home one day and five of my birds were dead and mangled.
By neighborhood dogs. Later, I was plagued by possums, then by racoons. There is no substitute for absolutely secure night accomadations.
I am able to let my birds free range during the day (in a large fenced area) but at night they must be locked.
Even trapping and 'dispatching' is not a cure. It may feel good, it may help, but the next predator is always out there waiting for his day.
Good luck finding out how they got to your silkie. Racoons are uncanny little Houdinies. I heard a comedian once marveling at racoons saying 'they are like a cross between a monkey and a dog'.

Well I just got my hands on 5, ya that's right I said it, 5 live traps. i also went to Walmart and got hollow point bullets for my 223. It's an all out war tonight my friends, and I'm ticked. Thanks for the comments and the comforting words, but all hells breakin loose tonight!!!!
somad.gif

Quote:
It sure does... I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning...well, now come to think of it, I like it at all times of the day and night!

...so, grab yer shovel, and let's get 'er done!
gig.gif

i'm on it right now, but it seems that Farm Frenzy has organized a hunt for tonight.

Annie, git yer gun!

I read about someone putting electric wire around thier coop and run. I checked and you can get an inexpensive one at tsc for about 30bucks plus the wire. Has anyone tried this? I have a bunch of large dogs that roam our neighborhood and i was planning on trying it.

Quote:
I actually know someone who has that and it works really well. I just haven't found the time to do it yet. It's solar powered, and it's at the bottom of the coop about half a foot off the ground, so no digging or climbing, of anything!!!

Back
Top Bottom