Raccoons..

Glad you got him!
Please don't release any raccoons, no matter how 'cute'! In most states, it's legal to release trapped varmits on your same property, or on private land within the same county with landowner permission. Nowhere else!
Mary
That is how it is supposed to be here. Of course there are sometimes exception in other places.
If you're not going to kill it, then don't trap it. :old
I agree. We are rural on a dead end road. We have had people that have released in our area. Once someone dropped off a gosling in our driveway probably because they either knew we raised chickens or saw our egg signs. (I know that's not a predator but was dropped off.) A neighbor would go to the local doughnut place and once overheard some fellows talking about skunks being relocated. In a two week period we dispatched around a dozen skunks.One night I caught 2 in one trap. No one ever asked for our permission.

To the OP, what were you going to do with the fox if you caught it?

And what makes you think it was a fox that tore up the coop and not this coon?

FWIW, my philosophy on dealing with varmints is to house the birds in a bomb proof coop that nothing gets in, and in doing so, that enables you to sleep easy and "live and let live", unless somehow, someway a varmint is successful, and manages a kill. After that, you can assume they will be a persistent offender and be back to give you untold grief. Best solution then......all things considered......is to administer the double tap and then shore up defenses so the one who replaces the recently demised isn't as successful as his predecessor.

Good point the coon is big enough to be very destructive, I wouldn't let my guard down though either, as where there is one there is usually another

So far the coons haven't tried to get to my birds but they have to get by the electric wires that goes around my coops and pens. I have seen them once in awhile on one of my game cameras. On my way to town the other day on the main road there was a dead coon that had been hit by a vehicle and that night one showed up on a camera.

That is the plan. If you do nothing to thwart them, why not come in and kill everything you got? Such an easy meal for animals that have to survive on their instincts and what they can find.

So do not make it easy on them. Build housing they can't get in, and if you also add an E fence, that is no place a varmint will want to hang out. They fail and get the crap zapped out of them in the process. They learn it is in their best interest to go shopping elsewhere.

Birds live....varmints live......and you get to sleep easy. That should be the plan.

Back
Top Bottom