Raccoons

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Carolyn227, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Carolyn227

Carolyn227 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    We found a raccoon in our coop this morning. It had mutilated a bird which we had to put out of its misery. I have no idea how it got in the coop. This is the third bird we've lost recently to predators. We also caught a possum in there but it didn't get any birds. I've walked around the coop and I don't know where it's getting in. How to I protect my ladies better in the future?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There must be an opening unless it was already in the coop when you closed it up at dusk.
    Is you coop quite large with hiding places inside? If not, I can't imaging the hens going in in the eve with a predator inside.
    It's amazing the small hole predators can squeeze through. A loose vent? A hole in the floor?

3. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    A raccoon can very easily squeeze through a 4" gap. Anything equivilant or larger than that, a raccoon will be able to get through. Depending on the size of the raccoon, if it's very large or very small, you can give or take an inch. Possums are generally smaller than raccoons so they can fit through even smaller gaps. Close any holes that are larger than 2-3" and know that the raccoon will certainly be back if it has not been dispatched already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by