Race against time: Building an insulated coop before the arctic air arrives.

Yes, I am keeping the hens down low until I can cover the foil. My biggest worry is them going deeper and reaching fiberglass! If they insist on tearing into it I have some more paneling I can throw up but no hardware cloth. I really don’t like the stuff much.

Exactly- and they will. LOL Yes hardware cloth is a royal PIA to work with- I was trying to come up with a solution that would still give you the reflective light impact you were trying for. I suppose anything - even a plastic mesh barrier- would keep them from getting to it. I guess think of it like a picture frame where the mesh (of whatever material) is the 'picture' - a trim board drilled into your studs would get the face of the mesh far enough away from the foil and fiberglass so they can't reach it- but still get the benefits of the foil.

Last week was busy as I kidnapped after dark the 3 hens and moved them into the new winter coop. I have them roosting at 24 inches above the floor and they seem to be good with it. They have shown no signs of insulation picking and right now it really is out of easy reach.

This picture shows my adjustable vent. There are only 3 small hens in this 8 x 8 coop right now. I have designed it around an ideal flock size of 6 to 8 wintering hens. So I made a ceiling vent 1 foot wide and 8 feet long. Here it is partially open to about 3 square feet for 3 hens. No shortage of fresh air in the coop with the windows and doors closed and even more importantly the near constant winds often roaring in nature are not felt at my standing height. So later on if I raise the roost so their heads are at that height they should be cozy.

4FF5D378-C972-41CB-919D-B053E31068D4.jpeg

Here is the vent opening from the outside. I covered it with 2x2 welded chicken wire and overlaid that with 1/4” HWC to exclude mice, weasels and squirrels and pack rats. Then I used a piece of OSB I had no better use for as a vent cover. It is under the poly tarp vapour barrier that is extended above the ceiling. I rolled it up over a 1 x4 board to keep it out of the way.

8E89390D-5B7E-47C3-8391-DDB4CFBFF82A.jpeg

This is a Woodshed/Coop. 8 x 24 , 3-8x8 modules of post frame construction. Just got the repurposed metal roof on today. Some of the timbers and planks were purchased a few years ago now, Bought a few 2x4 boards this fall and a lot of scrounged, recycled pallet wood and building supplies from my shop that have been there for years. I have a good door and window and insulation. The coop will have a ceiling/floor with a straw loft above for insulation. There will be a ventilation plenum behind the loft through the soffits
I personally, have triple insulated my coop. I spoke with other poultry keepers in my area ( western Alberta Canada) and they have insulation and nearly all have ceramic heat lamps too. They also only use them after -20/25. When it gets below those and dips into the -35’s -40’s on the prairies here, a little heat never killed anyone. It’s not near the birds, it’s more ambient. I have a heated drinker too but that only goes to -25, so the ceramic lamp will assist with keeping that warm.

Last week was busy as I kidnapped after dark the 3 hens and moved them into the new winter coop. I have them roosting at 24 inches above the floor and they seem to be good with it. They have shown no signs of insulation picking and right now it really is out of easy reach.

This picture shows my adjustable vent. There are only 3 small hens in this 8 x 8 coop right now. I have designed it around an ideal flock size of 6 to 8 wintering hens. So I made a ceiling vent 1 foot wide and 8 feet long. Here it is partially open to about 3 square feet for 3 hens. No shortage of fresh air in the coop with the windows and doors closed and even more importantly the near constant winds often roaring in nature are not felt at my standing height. So later on if I raise the roost so their heads are at that height they should be cozy.

View attachment 2892296
What bedding will you use? I mulch all my own twigs and branches and fill coffee bean bags with so much mulch. I use the deep litter method. With shaving on top for added softness. They do have straw in their nest boxes though.

Back
Top Bottom