Racing Heart...something came too close for comfort...UPDATE Pg 2**

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Totally agree with this assessment. Before said animal equates new structure with dinner, identify and trap/kill if legal. I'm sure it will be back over the next few nights.
I find that a spotlight in the coop area and a rifle scope makes identification very easy.

Okay, no tracks through the leaves or on the rock drive, of course.

I hear foxes all the time and they are very canine in the sounds they make...this thing was scarey.

Thank goodness the girls are in the garage and not in the new coop yet. Whatever this was I do not want to try out coop security with it.

I have not seen any fishercat in this area but there could certainly be some I guess. I am going to go talk to the forest rangers today and see what I can find out.

It is frustrating to not have any idea what you saw...never had this problem before. I know it is bigger than the fox around here usually, smaller than a bear, not a cat of anykind and who knows...

If it interfers with my hottubbing when I get the hottub up, it will go bye bye for sure.
gig.gif

Quote:
That's what I'm saying....it would be a HUGE possum or fox...the thing that gets me..the eyeshine. It was really red orange. Not yellow or green tones of a cat. Very few animals have a red eyeshine so I am going to keep an eye out tonight and pay closer attention.

It won't startle me ths time.
old.gif

If you are sure it isnt any animal you are familiar with, look on some of the cryptozoology sites. I think there is always the POSSIBILITY of unknown animal out there, especially if its nocturnal.

Last edited:
Oh I found out what it was and I am not at all happy! I must find it and kill it at first chance. Not only for sake of my chickens but also taco bell beast and the cats...

I have a nasty fisher! A big one too. After speaking to rangers, and reading the article that was posted in this thread, they were introduced into washington state and oregon and northern california to "control porcupine population". Okay...I have not even seen a porcupine in the state of Oregon...Montana, the Dakotas, Florida...yes. But here?

Anywhoooo, for those who have never heard one and curious as to why my heart leapt into my throat...here is a link for an audio of a fisher aka fisher cat. After you hear it there will be no doubt as to why having never heard one previously, I jumped ....

Fisher Audio

To get a good look at one, this is a great video of one of the little devils.

Fisher Video

Last edited:
Isn't it much easier to ask folks to kill their excess porcupines rather than introduce a species like the fisher in the area? Geez....

What are the laws on Fishers in your area....can you kill or trap it?

Back
Top Bottom