Racoon killed my pet cat by front door!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bizzybirdy, Jun 4, 2009.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry! I'm also really surprised! All the years I've had cats and seen raccoons in my yard (and house), I've never even heard of them going after cats! Just terrible!

2. walbarbsa

walbarbsa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    Oh, oh, oh, I'm so sorry; I never knew that about coons either.....console yourself with the fact that your dear cat had a wonderful life......[​IMG]

3. wanda047

wanda047 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    they will not hestiate to kill them for fun

that's correct! If you do your research, you'll read that over and over. Raccoons seem to enjoy killing just a little bit too much. They often do it just for FUN. [​IMG] I won't hesitate to kill one if it comes near my property. We've also lost kittens/cats to them.

So sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. [​IMG]

4. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    OMG! That is awful. I am so sorry for your loss. Kill the $#%*@$! [​IMG]

5. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:The only way to deal with useless vermin they are.

6. kagedgoddess

kagedgoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    virginia
    omg, i am so sorry!!! i had no idea they would go after a cat! ! that is aweful!!!

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I know we have some raccoons getting into people's trash... I will shoot at them with a BB gun now because I don't want them around. I worry for my chickens, but now I will worry for my cat too... and I won't think twice about a few extra pumps now!!!

I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

8. ChickenDogDuck

ChickenDogDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Or~e~gun
    Quote:FWIW: Raccoons have been known to kill dogs as well.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  9. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Thank you all for all your kind words. I finally could stop crying...on the outside at least.

Smokey was such a sweet old cat...he never hurt a thing, not even the baby chicks. The racoon pulled him (apparently while he was asleep) out of a sturdy plastic laminate dog house he often slept in that was right against the house alongside my front door. My friend came to bury Smokey and we found his intestines inside the dog house and saw that is where he was dragged out of.

I would never relocate a racoon or possum. I ALWAYS shoot them. Just couldn't get a shot off on this one; he is a pretty fast runner. My friend said to pull my p/u close to the gate and aim out the open window....should have a good shot. Usually I sit outside.

Will still have the trap loaded. I have other, younger cats outside so will have to try and bring them in so they don't trip the trap. My yard is totally fenced and all my cats are "fixed". Someone mentioned marshmallows as bait, anything else that my cats would not be interested in??

Again...thanks so much for all your posts.

10. Turtle

Turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Lyles,TN
    So sorry for your loss. I also didnt know coons would go after cats. I have three that are inside outside cats. I understand your pain if anything happened to my babies I would be looking to borrowing some coon dogs for a few nights or offer a bounty to any coon hunters, I dont have a gun but now will for sure look into getting one. Do take heart that your cat had a wonderful life with you and was able to live it to the fullest. Again so very sorry for your loss, [​IMG] I hope you get that coon soon and he doesnt get anymore of you cats. I would be terrified for the others. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by