Racoon killed my pet cat by front door!

I'm so sorry - I would be devastated if this happened to one of my beloved cats. Never thought much about them attacking cats as I haven't heard of it happening until reading this thread.
sad.png

I hope it happened really fast for your poor sweet Smokey
hugs.gif

JJ

I saw your post and resisted reading it because I knew how sad I would feel for you. Just thinking about losing a dear pet is so upsetting. I am so sorry that this happened to you and your dear old cat.

I have never understood why nature designed itself so that for one to live another had to die. It just doesn't seem right somehow.

Quote:
Wow...that is awful! This racoon tore the stomach out and one back leg completely off of my poor cat! NOT VERY NICE.
somad.gif

I shot it in the head. It was not looking rabid and the animal control here emphatically stated he would not deal with any wildlife...was grateful he brought the old trap over.

I will bring my other cats inside again and set the trap one more time tonight, just in case there is another. I am sure this was the killer....have seen him eating the cat food several times last week and he was caught heading right for Smokey's outside house...probably to finish eating the rest of him. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

All the land around me is being or has been built upon and the wildlife has no where to go. I know they are just trying to survive but so are my animals and they are helpless so up to me to protect them from this kind of horror. Am sad I was too late for Smokey.

Quote:
Alas this is biggest problem. I am thankful that I live in an area that has been largely spared this. I have more predators than most, but my birds seem much safer because prey is readily available. Predators don't need to prey on my pets to survive.
Again, I am so sorry about Smokey. I hope that getting his killer has given you some satisfaction.
hugs.gif

MY 17 YEAR OLD CAT NAMED TRIXY SNUCK OUT OF THE HOUSE LAST SATURDAY NIGHT AT 3:00 A.M. WHICH SHE NEVER DOES, AND BY 7:00 A.M. SHE WAS DEAD. SHE HAD BITE MARKS ON THE BACK OF THE NECK AS WELL AS HER THROAT. NOT A LOT OF BLOOD. NO OTHER BITE MARKS ON HER BODY AND NOTHING WAS EATEN OR TORN OFF. I AM 99% SURE THAT RACCOONS KILLED HER. I WAS WONDERING WHAT YOU HAVE SEEN WITH THE POOR CATS THAT WERE KILLED BY THE RACCOONS AND IF THERE WAS ANY CONSISTENCY WITH WHAT HAPPENED TO MY POOR TRIXY? I AM SO SADDENED THAT SHE SUFFERED BEING STRANGLED BY HER THROAT OR IF SHE WAS PARALYZED BY THE BITE ON THE BACK OF THE NECK. I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY OF YOUR INPUTS. THANK YOU!

They usually don't. I think this raccoon was just an a*** and taking advantage of a sick old cat. We have raccoons and they only try to eat the chicken and leave the cats alone.

I am so sorry for your loss. This could be constistant with a dog attack. You can't protect them from everything and at some point it just isn't your responsibility anymore. We can constistantly bring them in, but we vacant protect them from their own blatant stupidly everythine.

An example is my goat. She has good clean grade one Timothy/alfalfa hay,fresh water, triple crown grain, and minerals/baking soda. Now considering she had all of this, she found some moldy chicken food and ate it. Her rumen stopped functioning and it was a $500.00 vet bill to save her. If she had died, which she almost did, I would of felt bad, however, not at fault. It is her job to use her brain and protect herself to.

Back
Top Bottom