Racoon opens automatic door

Pippys Place

Chirping
Dec 9, 2019
Maritimes - Canada
I lost my dear little Hazel (a partridge silkie) to the hands of a giant raccoon who figured out how to open an automatic door.
Feeling terrible.
They are so ingenious and will work at a problem until they figure it out. Be wary!

RIP dear Hazel.
36FE48EC-8797-433F-AD54-598D93A53D29.jpeg

Hi everyone! It’s so heartbreaking when this happens. Prior to being adopted by 2 chickens and their friends, we welcomed ALL creatures in our humble 5 acre country space. We had to recently take the life of a racoon who got into the coop: after failed attempts via the nesting box external door, he got inside another way and badly frightened our little flock of 5 hens & 1 rooster. They ganged up on him and sent him packing. No injuries! The next day, we trapped him when he returned for more action, and killed him.
It was a decision that need to be made, our hearts breaking over killing one of The Almighty’s creations. We will do it again if we have to, but I pray we won’t!

Attachments

• A576A656-CB35-4941-9DF4-7130F86643C6.jpeg
    A576A656-CB35-4941-9DF4-7130F86643C6.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 5F82C7D0-6B15-417D-8356-154BEADF0442.jpeg
    5F82C7D0-6B15-417D-8356-154BEADF0442.jpeg
    462.9 KB · Views: 45
So sorry for your little hen, an awful event for all of you.
Your coop and run need serious work, because this raccoon family will continue until all your birds are dead. Keep you survivors inside somewhere safe while their housing is improved.
Pictures here may help us see where your problems are. Obviously that automatic door has to go, or at least be locked. Your hardware cloth isn't attached securely enough, as inthe picture on the left.
Mary

I lost my dear little Hazel (a partridge silkie) to the hands of a giant raccoon who figured out how to open an automatic door.
Feeling terrible.
They are so ingenious and will work at a problem until they figure it out. Be wary!

RIP dear Hazel. View attachment 3221700
We, as the collective at BYC, mourn with you! May The Creator of Heaven & Earth bless her soul…

So sorry for your little hen, an awful event for all of you.
Your coop and run need serious work, because this raccoon family will continue until all your birds are dead. Keep you survivors inside somewhere safe while their housing is improved.
Pictures here may help us see where your problems are. Obviously that automatic door has to go, or at least be locked. Your hardware cloth isn't attached securely enough, as inthe picture on the left.
Mary
I have only one remaining chicken now; I think Clara will become a house pet for anything but the middle of the day.

Back
Top Bottom