Racoon opens automatic door

I is nice that it has a screw drive but using a Regular nut and just all thread is a show of poor quality. A proper Lead Screw and Nut would be a show of a better quality product.
I am not sure where you got this information. I do know that the screw drive is made of hardened metal - I don't know if it is lead or not, but the motor will wear out before the screw/nut. It has been in our employ since we got our flock and we have have zero quality issues with it. Super secure.

I am not sure where you got this information.
It came directly from their website. And every video I have seen doing a review.

https://www.ladiesfirstchickendoor.com/screw/

ScreenHunter 0600 2023-12-31 13.27.jpg

I do know that the screw drive is made of hardened metal
Most all thread is hardened steel but it is also LOW grade hardened steel. Grade 2

I don't know if it is lead or not
It most definitely is not

but the motor will wear out before the screw/nut.
Yes it will. Why? Because threaded rod are not meant to be used this way. It is meant to hang things from a ceiling. Stationary. All that friction will wear down the motor, way faster than using a lead screw.

And what would you rather wear out faster the motor that you have to find the right one to replace or a bit of all thread and nut that you can get at home depot. Which by the way, if you are replacing the all thread you are also more than likely replacing the motor too because the all thread seized up and the board is also probably fried to.

When was the last time you put some lithium grease on it?

Look I am not saying that all thread can't be used, but for a commercially sold product, them using all thread is not a good sign.

Last edited:
It came directly from their website. And every video I have seen doing a review.

https://www.ladiesfirstchickendoor.com/screw/

View attachment 3716041

Most all thread is hardened steel but it is also LOW grade hardened steel. Grade 2

It most definitely is not

Yes it will. Why? Because threaded rod are not meant to be used this way. It is meant to hang things from a ceiling. Stationary. All that friction will wear down the motor, way faster than using a lead screw.

And what would you rather wear out faster the motor that you have to find the right one to replace or a bit of all thread and nut that you can get at home depot. Which by the way, if you are replacing the all thread you are also more than likely replacing the motor too because the all thread seized up and the board is also probably fried to.

When was the last time you put some lithium grease on it?

Look I am not saying that all thread can't be used, but for a commercially sold product, them using all thread is not a good sign.
Well, I stand by my original post. We have had this door since we started our little flock - 3 yrs and counting. If we have it for 5 years w/out an issue, I will consider that a good buy at $38/year or about 10 cents a day.

We grease it regularly.

To the original poster - sorry for hijacking your thread. Hazel was a beautiful girl and I feel your pain. May your heart be eased with the knowledge that she knew she was loved.

Yeah I'm with you on that. Sure you can make your house from straw or sticks and they may be OK and good enough for a DIY, but for something that it supposed to be sold as quality, yeah I think I'll pass. ILHHDoT LOL

Yeah I'm with you on that. Sure you can make your house from straw or sticks and they may be OK and good enough for a DIY, but for something that it supposed to be sold as quality, yeah I think I'll pass. ILHHDoT LOL
First, as others have said, my condolences.

As others have said, materials matter. That is why we build our doors & frames from aluminum, our hinge is nickel-plated brass, and our screws are all stainless steel. The only plastic is the housing around the motor. Quality materials and design is the path to the longest lasting coop doors.

Back
Top Bottom