Racoon opens automatic door

So sorry for your little hen, an awful event for all of you.
Your coop and run need serious work, because this raccoon family will continue until all your birds are dead. Keep you survivors inside somewhere safe while their housing is improved.
Pictures here may help us see where your problems are. Obviously that automatic door has to go, or at least be locked. Your hardware cloth isn't attached securely enough, as inthe picture on the left.
Mary
Thank you so much.
Your coop and run need serious work, because this raccoon family will continue until all your birds are dead. Keep you survivors inside somewhere safe while their housing is improved.
Pictures here may help us see where your problems are. Obviously that automatic door has to go, or at least be locked. Your hardware cloth isn't attached securely enough, as inthe picture on the left.
Mary
We, as the collective at BYC, mourn with you! May The Creator of Heaven & Earth bless her soul…
🙏

I lost my dear little Hazel (a partridge silkie) to the hands of a giant raccoon who figured out how to open an automatic door.
Feeling terrible.
They are so ingenious and will work at a problem until they figure it out. Be wary!

RIP dear Hazel. View attachment 3221700
wow sorry u know i've always wondered if they could do that

Mary
I have only one remaining chicken now; I think Clara will become a house pet for anything but the middle of the day.

Deeply sorry for your loss. These little guys take up huge parts of our hearts.

I know you mentioned that you don't remember the brand of door but maybe a few pictures will help others in choosing that door and maybe reinforcing it?

Back
Top Bottom