Racoon Proof

tsperry88

Songster
Mar 30, 2020
Fredericksburg, VA
I used 16ga stainless 1"x1" hardware cloth on all windows and soffit openings. It's attached every 5" with heavy 1" fence staples then a bead of liquid nails and a board nailed over. It's not coming off, but I have a long window with a roost about 12.5" away. Is there any chance a racoon could reach a bird and hurt it? I had considered adding 1/4" mesh to that window as a precaution.

That's concerning. I have never seen either, but maybe I should add something smaller. It would be easy on the windows. The soffit and gable vents I built in during construction, so it would be harder.

They aren't likely to reach the soffit or gables like a raccoon could.
I don't know where you are located but weasels are pretty well everywhere in the world.
I'm in my 60s and grew up on two different farms with lots of chickens, pheasant, cattle, hogs and other animals. I had never seen mink in my life until Walmart built a store down the hill from my house and in the process, cutting 80 acres of woods along a creek which then sent the mink up to me. In the course of a week, they killed $4,000 worth of my birds squeezing into the tiniest crack and killing every bird in the house each night.
Mink came close to driving me out of the chicken business all together. I spent a week burning chicken carcasses.

Is this latch good enough for the man door?

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_140157.jpg
    IMG_20200530_140157.jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 16
This post cost me $80 and several hours😉 All outside soffits and windows have 1x1 mesh. Inside all soffits and gables and windows are getting 1/2x1/2 mesh. All stapled and getting a board nailed over. Any creature would have to go through 2 layers of quality mesh.

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_203251.jpg
    IMG_20200530_203251.jpg
    611.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom