Racoon Proof

I built it like a pole barn, to get ventilation on the gables. Still have to fasten the outer edges.

Attachments

• IMG_20200531_171818.jpg
    IMG_20200531_171818.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200531_080218.jpg
    IMG_20200531_080218.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
One of the first predators I saw when I moved into the current property was a weasel. I haven't seen one since, but I'm sure it's still lurking about. It's better to go to the expense of predator proofing your coop and run, then suffer losses because were trying to cut costs. Just a suggestion, but putting a spring on your run door so it closes behind you automatically is helpful in keeping the chickens in. Best of luck with your flock.

They aren't likely to reach the soffit or gables like a raccoon could.
I don't know where you are located but weasels are pretty well everywhere in the world.
I'm in my 60s and grew up on two different farms with lots of chickens, pheasant, cattle, hogs and other animals. I had never seen mink in my life until Walmart built a store down the hill from my house and in the process, cutting 80 acres of woods along a creek which then sent the mink up to me. In the course of a week, they killed $4,000 worth of my birds squeezing into the tiniest crack and killing every bird in the house each night.
Mink came close to driving me out of the chicken business all together. I spent a week burning chicken carcasses.
Walmart a crap hole and should be boycotted by any freedom loving American,

My wife and I smoke in the basement of our house and that is where the rabbits/ chicks are kept also, she watched a baby weasel come through a 1.5 in gap at base of door yesterday, never seen one till Amish Mennonite a cut hay a couple days ago now hawks,vultures and other animals are lurking bet they wonā€™t like it when my chickens suffer and I take a bunch of theirs in place! But today I buy rat traps glue and a cage and fortitify my outdoor coop

Back
Top Bottom