Racoons Attacking!!!!!!!!

BrettMO

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 7, 2010
Nevada, MO
I went out the last few mornings to feed the chickens and some are allways gone or part gone we presume racoons but if any other ideas please tell i want to know of any way to detour them from coming around i set a trap but only got 2 i think theirs alot more then that please help me stop them.

Probably funny that as I'm dealing with my own pred problem I would attempt to offer advice. First be sure you have an extremely secure coop for them. I have key locks on mine. Coons are remarkable at opening latches. Continue to set traps. I 'm sure there will be others with better advice. I had a hard time keeping ducks when I first got them due to coons. That's when I learned secure coops with good locks are your best friend.

Sorry you are going thru this also. I'm guessing you are in MO and with the weather we've had this winter everything seems to be super hungery. Just ask whatever ate 1 turkey here and may have made off with another.

You are not going to deter a coon, at least not till they run out of food. You have to get rid of the coons or make sure your birds are very well protected at night.

Matt

keep setting traps and stock up on sweet potatoes. mmmmmmm baked coon and sweet potatoes!!!! i'm surprised that the raccoons are so hungry there. it's deer season. while it's illegal many hunters bait their fields. the raccoons eat as much of the corn as the deer. around here they are fat as butterballs.

New here so not sure how to post elsewhere but very excited about new chickens this week. I have revamped my door (coons got in and ate my pet flock of 5 in November and now I'm ready to go again). I used to keep hot fence around the coop at about 4 inches. Does anyone think if I put it around the bottom, middle, and top I should keep the rotten coons from door/fence testing? Lived out here for 6 years and haven't had anyone go through the chicken wire (though after reading posts I'm worried) but until last 2 years did have hot wire.
Any suggestions welcome.
P.S. MUCH better latches on door now, they pried it open last time.

Back
Top Bottom