Rain and Chickens

Madison2237

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 4, 2014
I live on the Oregon Coast and we are getting a good rain today. I am new to chickens. We have a coop with door and also smaller exit/entrance on the side of coop. My plan is to keep the smaller door open in the winter and close the big door to avoid getting rain in the coop Today most of the chickens have been out in the rain. Don't they know to go inside to get out of the rain and get food ? I'm not sure what to think. Right now I feel bad for them !!! I hope some of you seasoned chicken keepers can help !! Thank you so much.

They will be fine - if/when the rain gets to be too much, they'll go in but a little rain (have lived in the state of liquid sunshine, so I know the rain) is nothing to a healthy bird. As long as you have shelter available, trust them to do what is right for them. We tend to look at these situations from a human standpoint and see that we would be cold, uncomfortable, want to be inside, etc - - but they are looking at it from their perspective and when/if they get cold or uncomfortable they'll move out of the weather.

Thank you --- thank you !!! You made me feel better. Yes, from a human standpoint, I want to take a towel and dry them off. I'll remember what you said !!

I always worry about my silkies when they get wet! I wonder how smart they are LOL

My chickens love rain and snow. They always rush to the door of the run where it blows in. Don't have enough sense to get behind the wall so they won't get wet.

Back
Top Bottom