1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rain and Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Madison2237, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Madison2237

Madison2237 New Egg

Oct 4, 2014
    I live on the Oregon Coast and we are getting a good rain today. I am new to chickens. We have a coop with door and also smaller exit/entrance on the side of coop. My plan is to keep the smaller door open in the winter and close the big door to avoid getting rain in the coop Today most of the chickens have been out in the rain. Don't they know to go inside to get out of the rain and get food ? I'm not sure what to think. Right now I feel bad for them !!! I hope some of you seasoned chicken keepers can help !! Thank you so much.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    They will be fine - if/when the rain gets to be too much, they'll go in but a little rain (have lived in the state of liquid sunshine, so I know the rain) is nothing to a healthy bird. As long as you have shelter available, trust them to do what is right for them. We tend to look at these situations from a human standpoint and see that we would be cold, uncomfortable, want to be inside, etc - - but they are looking at it from their perspective and when/if they get cold or uncomfortable they'll move out of the weather.

3. Madison2237

Madison2237 New Egg

Oct 4, 2014
    Thank you --- thank you !!! You made me feel better. Yes, from a human standpoint, I want to take a towel and dry them off. I'll remember what you said !!

4. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    I always worry about my silkies when they get wet! I wonder how smart they are LOL

5. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    My chickens love rain and snow. They always rush to the door of the run where it blows in. Don't have enough sense to get behind the wall so they won't get wet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by