Rain barrel for your flock?

The reason I've heard or it to be illegal to collect rainwater is not the stagnant issue but because the state considers it stealing the water.

The reason I've heard or it to be illegal to collect rainwater is not the stagnant issue but because the state considers it stealing the water.
welcome-byc.gif
Welcome! Kimmom2five! And yes that's why. Some states out west like Colorado, Utah, and I believe Washington. They are starting to fight that though. Since it actually is more beneficial than detrimental on the water supply. It's mostly for states with little water so I don't understand Washington is listed. Unless it's just parts of Washington.

:welcome Welcome! Kimmom2five! And yes that's why. Some states out west like Colorado, Utah, and I believe Washington. They are starting to fight that though. Since it actually is more beneficial than detrimental on the water supply. It's mostly for states with little water so I don't understand Washington is listed. Unless it's just parts of Washington.

I live in eastern Washington. Haven't yet heard its illegal to collect rainwater here, but we're also new here. If it were to be anywhere, it would be in eastern wa. Water rights are a delicate issue here. Very arid here compared to western wa. In Seattle, rain barrels were very popular.

Unbelievable! Perhaps they should put a user tax on the air we breathe also.

Don't given them ideas!

We have what we call a "Rain tax". You are taxed on every square foot of hard surface (roof, blacktop, concrete & etc) that would impede rain water from permeating into the soil.
rant.gif

I don't know for sure, but when I googled "illegal rainwater collection states" those 3 states came up. And yes they believe you are stealing from their mineral rights! 

Found this link that helps explain it:
http://www.king5.com/news/local/Washington-clarifies-muddy-rain-collecting-law--65171627.html

Thanks for the link. Even if someone had a very large underground rainwater storage tank, it seems like that person's small impact upon total water downhill/river/valley/etc runoff would be so small it's just ridiculous to make it illegal, even in arid areas. Sounds like at least Washington state sees that point.

Back
Top Bottom