Rain, cocci, etc.

pattycake

Songster
12 Years
May 7, 2007
fingerlakes, ny
Twice now I've noticed some diarrhea and blood spots in my chicken's poop after a rainy spell. I'm assuming the wet conditions allow cocci to multiply and overwhelm my chickens' immune systems -- they were on medicated feed for the first 12 weeks, and now they're 18 weeks.

Last time this happened, it was during the time I was switching feeds, so I went back to medicated feed for a little while and it cleared up beautifully (and the rain stopped).

This time, however, I'm in the process of switching to layer feed and don't have medicated feed on hand. And I think it'll be rainy for a few months now, before it snows!

What should I do?? My local feed store has nothing but sulmet, which makes me nervous.

Thanks for the links -- I've never seen DE so cheap!

I just changed the water, changed the bedding, and scraped the mud out of the run and put down fresh wood chips. A little later I'll let them free range and see how the poop looks tomorrow.

Phew, I worry about these chicks as much as I do my kids!
roll.png

Put your time and money into making your coop and run dry as this is one of the best ways to avoid the problem.

My henhouse is quite dry, but I only covered part of the run because I wanted the chicks to get some sun. But they're not apt to get much sun for the next six months so I guess I'd do well to get another roof panel on there...

Back
Top Bottom