1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rain, cocci, etc.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pattycake, Oct 12, 2007.

1. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Twice now I've noticed some diarrhea and blood spots in my chicken's poop after a rainy spell. I'm assuming the wet conditions allow cocci to multiply and overwhelm my chickens' immune systems -- they were on medicated feed for the first 12 weeks, and now they're 18 weeks.

Last time this happened, it was during the time I was switching feeds, so I went back to medicated feed for a little while and it cleared up beautifully (and the rain stopped).

This time, however, I'm in the process of switching to layer feed and don't have medicated feed on hand. And I think it'll be rainy for a few months now, before it snows!

What should I do?? My local feed store has nothing but sulmet, which makes me nervous.

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    you can go to www.jefferslivestock.com and order pretty much what you need online...I do this instead of buying something that maybe has set on a shelf too long and you can find pretty much what you need for poultry there. I get my DE from www.hoeggergoatsupply.com they are all very helpful and you can even call them if you need extra help.

3. pattycake

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Thanks for the links -- I've never seen DE so cheap!

I just changed the water, changed the bedding, and scraped the mud out of the run and put down fresh wood chips. A little later I'll let them free range and see how the poop looks tomorrow.

Phew, I worry about these chicks as much as I do my kids! [​IMG]

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Put your time and money into making your coop and run dry as this is one of the best ways to avoid the problem.

5. pattycake

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    My henhouse is quite dry, but I only covered part of the run because I wanted the chicks to get some sun. But they're not apt to get much sun for the next six months so I guess I'd do well to get another roof panel on there...

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    perhaps if you angle it downwards so there is a kindof "runoff" it would help?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by