Rain here in florida and my chickens help!!!

Jenniferlane

Hatching
Apr 19, 2021
My 2 one-year-old chickens females are other fees in to go in their Coop and it's raining outside it's not super super bad thunderstorm but it's not just sprinkling it's not really even cold outside it's probably in the 70s but I'm freaking out right now one of them are making a different noise and the other one is laying an egg under a tree so they're both getting wet should I remove them from the rain and put them in their Coop myself

My 2 one-year-old chickens females are other fees in to go in their Coop and it's raining outside it's not super super bad thunderstorm but it's not just sprinkling it's not really even cold outside it's probably in the 70s but I'm freaking out right now one of them are making a different noise and the other one is laying an egg under a tree so they're both getting wet should I remove them from the rain and put them in their Coop myself
I would put them in the coop. I know chickens can drown in rain.

Also another thing i jis found this group so i have lots of questions anyways something got like 6 eggs a week ago n they r refusing to sleep in their coop.. Its a big home made one but still nice plenty of perches to sit on n stuff anyways i finally after days of waking up to chicken poop all over my porch ledges n walkways n stuff i said nope your going to ur house n i make them now.. Should i not??? I check the coop before putting them in everytime

Omgsh ok thank you... So happy i found this feed... So ill wait for my other to finish laying cuz they only lay under this tree now since something got their eggs a week or so ago
I would lock them up in the coop till they realize that the coop is safe to go in.

Some of my chickens go in the coop when it rains or under it, I have most of the run tarped, but they still find ways to stand around in the rain, they also get rained on when they are out free ranging. So far no issues with them being wet 😊

Chickens know how to be chickens better than we know how to be chickens. If they have free access to shelter and choose to be out in the rain leave them alone -- they're probably enjoying some really good bugs or something.

Mine don't even mind cold rain (see thread here), and were out scratching around in their run between rain bands of the various tropical storms that went through here last summer.

I would put them in the coop. I know chickens can drown in rain.

If chickens drowned in the rain no one outside of a desert would own them.
I would lock them up in the coop till they realize that the coop is safe to go in.
x2. Any photos of your set up, both coop and run? Have they EVER slept in the coop? Do they ever go inside it at all?

I don't give mine a choice. But mine have always gone inside reliably.

Mine have a covered run and will go to the side the rain blows in on and play in it till they are soaked. I have an open coop so they can come and go as they wish. It was 70 here in AR yesterday. Aint checked the weather down in FL but ya'll normally warmer than us this time of year. If they want a bath I say let 'em enjoy it.

If chickens drowned in the rain they would have went extinct long before humans were around.

Back
Top Bottom