Rain Sleet Hail and Sun~ The coop frame is up!

Our chickens will be 8 weeks this week. still in the brooder with daily outdoor adventures and we are STILL building the coop
gig.gif
*laughs hysterically*

Anyway, just thought id post our progress ... we have the roof on, three walls, most of a nest box, a floor...

The weather still sucks, mud all over most of the time and I swear the more work we do the worse it looks but at least we are making progress... and the goal at this point is progress not perfection
wink.png

Okay, now i feel the need to confess- our slow pace is mostly my fault. its true, I am the weakest link! I can never keep track of my measuring tape, square or pencil and I think I spend most of my time walking in circles looking for them. Maybe I need a tool belt?)

a caveat before you look~ We have no building experience at all, which is obvious. We have used mostly recycled lumber and random stuff so it looks a little like a patchwork quilt at this point but I think it will look a little better once we get it all stained... fingers are crossed
fl.gif

Here are the updated pics-
we put our external nest box inside the run as a precaution against leaks. we get lots of rain here
smile.png
*notice we went a little crazy with the screws and washers for the hardware cloth.
81828_coop4.jpg

Notice the mud on everything? The top window opens and is backed by hardware cloth. Ill be putting a planing box on here too- where the remarkably clean unstained plywood is.
81828_coop3.jpg

This wall (with the siding) has two doors that open up for easy access and to make cleaning a joy~
81828_coop2.jpg

Ive always been intimidated by projects like this plus I didn't really know where to begin.... however, I got some great ideas and lots of encouragement from this website and would like to announce that I now know how to use a miter saw, square, skilsaw, sawzall, and a grinder! YAY!

Looks good!

I have to admit it took me 6 months to build the coop. Another 6 months to do some trim work. (we did have a decrepit coop so they did have a place to live)

It still needs some paint and the run!

Back
Top Bottom