Rain/snow cover for run and coop?

newchick13

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 26, 2011
Somers NY
Our run is a huge 50 x 30 with our coop inside. My question....can I reasonably cover the area over the coop and a small adjacent area of the run so rain and snow will not be problem? Since the weather has been so hot and humid I'd like to leave the coop window's and doors open but with our rainy days the inside would be get wet if I left it open. I am thinking a tarp from the hardwood store anchored at the grommets to our hawk proof netting would work, but don't think this would work with the potential heavy NY snow's we get for the winter. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking that a tarp on the bird netting would be great for shade, but you're right...the snow in the winter would be very different. I can see snow building up and ripping the tarp and bird netting down.
hmm.png
I would think that you will have to go with something a little sturdier. Maybe a frame and some metal or plastic roof panels? Just enough to keep some snow and water off, without having to do the entire run.

I am way new to having chickens. Only since April. But I am good with building and such. First as I understand it the chickens won't go far from the coop in the winter. So covering the whole run my not be necessary. A small frame of 2x3 or 2x4 to hold up a tarp might be all you need. I don't know how your coop is built, but if one wall is covered then anchor the tarp to one side of the coop and just have enough of a frame for a 16' x 20' tarp should be enough. That will keep your coop and part of the run covered. Also keep costs down. You could do a lot with a few dollars in two by's.

To keep rain from blowing in the windows/door, simply build a little wooden awning like structure over them - that part is simple. It's wonderful to have a roofed area coming out of the coop just to save your back (shoveling bites - especially when you're no spring chicken), but you're right - a tarp won't work with your winters. Last year (before we'd roofed part of our run) I had a really tacky set-up. I just laid a thick 4x8 sheet of old plywood across two big sawhorses right outside of their pop door. I had a tarp tented over that. It gave them just a little snowfree area, but looked like crap.
tongue.png

Here's two examples of what I'm talking about with awnings:
I have just a litte one on my bantam coop...
37862_june_24_030.jpg

And this big one on my main coop - more for keeping sun out in my case - I remove it in Fall/Winter time...
37862_june_24_024.jpg

We used a tarp. DH made a wooden thingy to hold up the wire in the center which makes the tarp round-y on top. We'll see how well it keeps snow off this winter:

run1.jpg

run2.jpg

I do want to mention that one of our rabbit pens is just chicken wire on top with a tarp on it. No pitch whatsoever. It's gotten a lot of rain and snow on it and it bowed down a little but the tarp and chicken wire have always held up under it. We've had them for 2 yrs now.

Hopefully the wire underneath will give it enough support and the tarp itself will heat up to melt snow off fairly quickly. You seem to have it out in the open which will be a benefit. If all else fails, a mid winter project is always welcome.
big_smile.png
Just kidding! Your coop and run are super cute and I hope you girls appreciate (and I'm sure they will) all the hard work you are putting into thier home.

Back
Top Bottom