rain soaked

jtbrown

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Southeastern Ohio
My 12 guineas are in a covered run, they free range the entire day if I am home, but are penned 2-3 days a week when I am gone for 12 hours out of the day.

We are getting a small part of the rain from Sandy here in Ohio. My birds look like drowned rats. They have 2 roosts that they sit on most of the time, and I have a covered area that they all fit in, and they hang out in occasionally during the day, but insist on roosting outside IN THE RAIN all night.

They share a run with the ducks, and I have a little set up that they all have their place with the guineas up high, and the ducks down below.

Anyway, is this the norm for other people with guineas? I have learned that I do not wish to reach up and grab them one at a time (they are soooo strong and have the upper hand when above my head). So, I really cannot move them.

edited to add, the covered, dry perch is used by them off and on throughout the day even when free ranging, but they have sat in the rain 3 days now, even when free ranging. Also -- they can get in to chicken coop, they go in there off and on when free ranging (an exit into the guinea run is open). Just wondering, my husband keeps making reference to their intelligence, and I'm beginning to wonder too.

Last edited:
I have a flock of free rangers that refuse to roost anywhere but up in oak trees, year round (the trees lose their leaves in the Fall/Winter here and provide them zero shelter from the weather). The Guineas get drenched and blown around for days at a time during the wet cold/stormy weather here, but they survive. Sometimes when the weather is really really bad they will hang out under the my truck in the carport during the day but are back up in their tree for the night.

It's probably not nearly as cold here as the weather in your area, but my birds do manage to preen and fluff themselves back up every time there's a break in the rain. If your birds aren't shivering or so soaked that they can't get up off the ground too roost I would not worry about them too much, especially if it's their choice to stay out and roost in the rain. You can bump up the protein and corn in their diet to help keep them warmer.

Is there any way you can put a tarp over their preferred roosting area? They will still be wet from being in the rain all day but at least you will feel better knowing the rain isn't pelting down on them all night too. My birds are SOL, cuz I'm not tarping their tree... they'd just move to another one, lol.

We have a piece of roofing sheet metal that we are considering putting over top of them, and we may. We are on top of a large hill (ridge) and get some monstrous winds, so the covered area is up close to the coop, their open area is in middle of covered run. I just worry about the umbrella effect that might take off part of the covered run if we attach a piece of metal to it, we will consider it further though. I don't think a tarp would last more than one storm in this particular spot. The silly guineas do look pathetic all sopping wet.

ps - thanks for the input, I feel some better now.

Also to add, because I know PeepsCA will look back again, my guineas are becoming "part of the homestead" and I am so happy. They stick close to the house, no longer run like crazy when we are near them (no way we can touch them). They are funny little birds, even more so now that they poke around in the chicken coop, in the chicken run, under cars, under the rabbit hutches, and under the porch. They have 10 acres to roam, and they do, but you can actually tell now that they are somewhat domesticated. Loving them more and more. Also just as mentioned in previous posts, they have somewhat quieted down now that they are more used to the area and free ranging.

Glad to read your flock is settling in, knows where home is and have quieted down jt. I always tell people they do get easier to deal with after a year or so... but not everyone can endure that "transitional period" while their birds adjust, (can't really blame those who can't tho, Guineas are definitely trying at times lol).

I have found a little secret to getting tarps to last longer than one storm... make sure to have a center peak so the water rolls off, and then sandwich the tarp between 2 layers of plastic garden netting (not the bird netting for trees). I use the 4' stuff on that comes in a roll and I zip tie sections together, making sure the zip ties don't poke the tarp... it stops the tarps from flapping and degrading so fast.

Thanks for the tarp information, that is a great idea. I will file this away in the to keep information. We have some snow fence that would probably serve well in the same purpose as the bread to the tarp sandwich.

Those silly birds were huddling in the enclosure this morning, they have dry straw to bed into. They came out only when I talked to them. So, hopefully as the worst of the wind has hit over night and this morning. The snow is probably what drove them in!

Back
Top Bottom