Rain/Storms

meggy77

Chirping
May 1, 2017
Hello Everyone,
Last week I moved my chicks to their coop and all is well so far (except I'm having to put them up at night).... but other than that they seem to be adjusting. However, we are expected to get a lot of rain and possibly severe storms today and tomorrow. Should I make them go In the coop? Or let them figure it out? I hate to keep them "cooped" up for the next day.

As long as they have mastered moving into and our of the coop on their own (you don't say if you are still having to do this for them as many do when moving chicks from brooder to coop life...some take longer to get the idea) I would leave them alone and just keep an eye out that no one is getting too soaked (keep in mind they will go out in some rain) and intervene only if if feels absolutely necessary.

As long as they have mastered moving into and our of the coop on their own (you don't say if you are still having to do this for them as many do when moving chicks from brooder to coop life...some take longer to get the idea) I would leave them alone and just keep an eye out that no one is getting too soaked (keep in mind they will go out in some rain) and intervene only if if feels absolutely necessary.

Thank you , They are going up and down on their own (at night I'm still having to put them up) but they KNOW how... just not when.

I put mine out at 4 1/2 weeks, they are now 7 weeks, and I am relieved to report they DO know how to come in out of the rain, and do it every time. I had contemplated locking them in when I heard thunder last week, but they went right in on their own and waited out the storm.

I had that exact concern over the weekend when it started to downpour for the first time since my girls had moved outside. I was so freaked out and tried to herd them into the coop but they just ran away from me. Finally the figured out they'd be more comfortable if they walked into the coop, and some of them just went under it. The ducks on the other hand were just standing there in the rain, soaking it in! :lau It's raining hard again today and I'm a little nervous again, but it seems that they know what to do if they feel uncomfortable

Back
Top Bottom