Rainy weather - sick hens- coccidiosis poop?

chillst1

Chirping
Jul 21, 2020
We've had a pretty wet winter here in Georgia and I recently I've been losing a few chickens. I've been trying to troubleshoot what the issue may be and I've begun to think it could be coccidiosis. Can anyone look at this picture and tell me if it looks like coccidiosis in the hen droppings. Thank you so much for your time a
PXL_20210222_194813134._exported_1614024385376.jpg
nd knowledge.

Coccidiosis usually has blood in the Droppings. I don't see very much in that particular picture. Have you considered worms? What other symtoms do the birds have? This winter has been hard on my chickens as well. So, I suspect that you should expect a slightly higher mortality than in the summer.

That dosen't look so well, we've had rain here before, and the chicken have handled it alright for me. What have you been feeding lately? Is there anything abnormal to their diet? Any moldy or rotten foods? I also don't think it is coccidiosis.

Coccidiosis usually has blood in the Droppings. I don't see very much in that particular picture. Have you considered worms? What other symtoms do the birds have? This winter has been hard on my chickens as well. So, I suspect that you should expect a slightly higher mortality than in the summer.
I found my hen in the coup with her feathers ruffled and an empty crop. Not much else to report for symptoms than the droppings you see.

How old is your hen? That is not a healthy looking dropping, but not necessarily coccidiosis. Do you have a vet that will run a fecal for you? Did the other birds you lost exhibit the same symptoms and droppings?

That dosen't look so well, we've had rain here before, and the chicken have handled it alright for me. What have you been feeding lately? Is there anything abnormal to their diet? Any moldy or rotten foods? I also don't think it is coccidiosis.
Feeding corn and layer crumble. I don't think any of it is bad.

Those look like cyst/insect eggs to me - on the left - I hope you treated for worms? Curious how this went - I'm in my first year and trying to be ready for anything. I use chipdrop.com to always have something to use to cover bare ground after scooping or burying everything possible - especially if rain and warmth happens.

Back
Top Bottom