Raise your own meat.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...organic-and-or-non-gmo-and-more#post_12478225

post in my Thread
smile.png
I started the Herb and resource one.

It would appear as though it has taken off rapidly.
wink.png
Congrats on spreading the wealth of herbal knowledge you possess. I have skimmed through it (mainly your posts) and it looks awesome. I posted there as well.

You are not only a chaser of wisdom as your title says but a giver of wisdom indeed.

You're welcome. I think it's a great thing what you're doing by spreading knowledge of almost lost arts.

I'm an old soul in a way and regret seeing things that were going on in every house on the block a half a century ago falling by the wayside and now you ask a kid about raising animals for meat and such and you get this look of horror that a person would even think of doing something like that. Meanwhile they munch down their big mac and go on like it fell from heaven like manna and don't even stop to think that what is on that big mac was at one point a living breathing animal that someone raised, probably from birth, and sent off to the slaughter to feed their country. Kids these days just think raising anything but kane or a hamster is "old fashioned".

Ok I think I'm done with my rant for today. Just gets on my nerves that everyone thinks we're the crazy ones.

Quote: With careful management and improvements to the soils you can grow an amazing amount on 1.5 acres. I wish I could find th Utube video of the family that runs a "farm" off their less than acre plot. Many integrated levels, like chickens eat the old produce and the eggs are sold and poo goes back in to the gardens.

Quote: THAT is a recipe worth trying too. We had duck the other night and as it was the first duck I have had in about 20 years, I roasted it plain to get the full flavors of the all natural meat. Lot of breast meat on that young duck.

exactly... well if you think about it.. Food and Drug Administration. Should be separate entities.

I may try it. I have cooked with wine and a few others before. I am an herb connoisseur myself. I have a collection of almost anything and buy herbs in bulk . They also have medicinal properties which I use them for in teas.

good places are

www.sfherb.com

www.starwestbotanicles.com (might be spelt wrong)

Azure Standard

Penzy's
Love Penzy's. THe catalog ( 20 yrs ago) was amazing. Difficult to narrow down the choices.

I'm an herbalist (among many other things), and think that every home should have a small area set aside for medicinal herbs. They don't take up much room, and it can be as simple as planting a flowerbed with them. The only cost is a few seeds, and you might even be able to get them for free if you know someone else who grows them.
I totally agree-- easy to start with a few simple ones. Like chives and sorrel. ANd the mints are usually hard to kill. Start small . . . .

Quote: With careful management and improvements to the soils you can grow an amazing amount on 1.5 acres. I wish I could find th Utube video of the family that runs a "farm" off their less than acre plot. Many integrated levels, like chickens eat the old produce and the eggs are sold and poo goes back in to the gardens.

Quote: THAT is a recipe worth trying too. We had duck the other night and as it was the first duck I have had in about 20 years, I roasted it plain to get the full flavors of the all natural meat. Lot of breast meat on that young duck.

exactly... well if you think about it.. Food and Drug Administration. Should be separate entities.

I may try it. I have cooked with wine and a few others before. I am an herb connoisseur myself. I have a collection of almost anything and buy herbs in bulk . They also have medicinal properties which I use them for in teas.

good places are

www.sfherb.com

www.starwestbotanicles.com (might be spelt wrong)

Azure Standard

Penzy's
Love Penzy's. THe catalog ( 20 yrs ago) was amazing. Difficult to narrow down the choices.

I'm an herbalist (among many other things), and think that every home should have a small area set aside for medicinal herbs. They don't take up much room, and it can be as simple as planting a flowerbed with them. The only cost is a few seeds, and you might even be able to get them for free if you know someone else who grows them.
I totally agree-- easy to start with a few simple ones. Like chives and sorrel. ANd the mints are usually hard to kill. Start small . . . .

WOW!! Just the fact you kept up with all that without getting confused blows my mind. You are indeed a forum magician.
bow.gif

Last edited:
You're welcome. I think it's a great thing what you're doing by spreading knowledge of almost lost arts.

I'm an old soul in a way and regret seeing things that were going on in every house on the block a half a century ago falling by the wayside and now you ask a kid about raising animals for meat and such and you get this look of horror that a person would even think of doing something like that. Meanwhile they munch down their big mac and go on like it fell from heaven like manna and don't even stop to think that what is on that big mac was at one point a living breathing animal that someone raised, probably from birth, and sent off to the slaughter to feed their country. Kids these days just think raising anything but kane or a hamster is "old fashioned".

Ok I think I'm done with my rant for today. Just gets on my nerves that everyone thinks we're the crazy ones.
I feel the exact same way. SO many wonderful things are being lost in a throw away society. Everything is so simple. I wish there was more value in apprenticing to learn the arts of a master but now that doesn't matter you have to go broke paying student loans for college to have a generic education with a lack of experience and skill.

Well I butcher my chickens and hope to one day have more room for milk and beef, sustainable gardening, my kids will learn these skills... and my 8 year old has lopped a chickens head off and helped pluck.

Yeah they just don't understand, but more are finding what I do 'cool' and wishing they could do it too. :p And I find the hoomeschool network many of us moms are DIY'ers. And IMO oldfashioned is better than the naive emptiness our society is turning to.

I feel the exact same way. SO many wonderful things are being lost in a throw away society. Everything is so simple. I wish there was more value in apprenticing to learn the arts of a master but now that doesn't matter you have to go broke paying student loans for college to have a generic education with a lack of experience and skill.

Well I butcher my chickens and hope to one day have more room for milk and beef, sustainable gardening, my kids will learn these skills... and my 8 year old has lopped a chickens head off and helped pluck.

Yeah they just don't understand, but more are finding what I do 'cool' and wishing they could do it too. :p And I find the hoomeschool network many of us moms are DIY'ers. And IMO oldfashioned is better than the naive emptiness our society is turning to.

Whole Heartedly agree. I'm into chickens and gardening now but I"m hoping for ducks soon (as we've been talking about here) and I want to raise goats for milk and maybe (when I have room) a beef cow.

But you're so right everyone out there these days is saying "Oh you have to go to college to get a decent job" But honestly I'm 21 and have a good job that pays the bill, has benefits (insurance, 401k, Etc.) and I never ask people if they want fries with anything. I have never been to college and only plan on ever going to trade school for HVAC and that's only because I already to it at work anyway.

Where have the days gone where a man goes to work and brings home the bacon for his family and then on his time off, fixes stuff around the house, raises his families food, loves on his kids and wife and teaches the next generation the true meaning of life and family. I wasn't even raised in those days and I miss them. It seems that kids (I say kids meaning 18-22 year olds and here I am in that age group, go figure) go to college for 4 years to get what you call and I agree with as a generic degree and all they have to show for it is they can ask someone if they want fries with their burger in 3 different languages. If America would teach their kids how to live off the land and be self sustaining, at least as far as the food spectrum goes, this country would have way less debt and I believe an overall better state of being.

We need to start a rant and rave thread on American society and the times we live in... Oh well I'll put that on tomorrows to-do list. Sorry if I bore anyone with my incessant rambling of lost arts and "good ol' days" but I think it's an issue that's gone to far for too long.

Back
Top Bottom