Raised lump at toe! Help!

Mary42

Hatching
Jun 6, 2023
My Black Barred Plymouth Rock was lifting its left foot and limping. We thought at first bumblefoot (we've had it and treated it on 2 chickens in the past), but this is different. It has no black scab. It is swelled all the way around and the nail is intact. We soaked it, put neosporin and disinfected it and wrapped it. It looks the same after a few days. We tried piercing it (hence the drop of blood you can see in the picture). Squeezing it produced nothing but blood. We disinfected and wrapped it again but don't know what to do or what it is. She is currently wrapped and in a large cageso she doesn't get it dirty. We are clueless, it doesn't meet the description of mites or gout.

Attachments

• 20230606_193919.jpg
    20230606_193919.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 23
Odd. There's nothing stuck in her foot or leg, is there? Does she act as though it hurts her when you move it around? Could she have broken it jumping off of something or gotten it caught somewhere?

That swollen tip looks a lot like a frostbitten toe or a crushed toe, but usually the toenail turns black or falls off. Could she have gotten injured? Below is an example of the swollen living tissue above frostbite or a crush wound:

1686097674606.jpeg

There doesn't appear to be something stuck in it. It does give her discomfort if you squeeze it. It doesn't seem to be broken. I suppose she could have injured it scratching in the yard, but I'm back to the same question. What do I do? We have her in a cage so it doesn't get dirty and she can rest. I've given her mealworms for extra protein.

That swollen tip looks a lot like a frostbitten toe or a crushed toe, but usually the toenail turns black or falls off. Could she have gotten injured? Below is an example of the swollen living tissue above frostbite or a crush wound:

View attachment 3531793
No frostbite here in Michigan now so must be a crush injury. It looks a lot like the top toe in your picture. Her nail is not black though. Is there anythingwe should do for it or does it heal on its own?

Back
Top Bottom